Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Line Cinema

Go down

New Line Cinema Empty New Line Cinema

Post by ThePunisher May 19th 2024, 6:54 am

I've read where New Line has the rights to ne Friday the 13th movies. What's up with that, after the Miller/Cunningham lawsuit?

This stuff seems like it's all over the place, especially since Paramount put the movies out, then Newline.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

New Line Cinema Empty Re: New Line Cinema

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 19th 2024, 12:05 pm

ThePunisher wrote:I've read where New Line has the rights to ne Friday the 13th movies. What's up with that, after the Miller/Cunningham lawsuit?

This stuff seems like it's all over the place, especially since Paramount put the movies out, then Newline.

Miller only owns the rights to the material from the original script that he wrote. Which is a good chunk of the original lore.... All Miller did was try to renew his copyright for his script to continue to get paid royalties for it, like anybody would do in that situation, but Cunningham decided to be a petty greedy bitch who didn't want to pay Miller anymore and wanted to keep all the proceeds for the Friday the 13th franchise for his own company, Horror Inc, and that's basically the crux of the beef that's still ragging today even though Miller technically won the dispute.

Paramount owned the distribution rights to Friday the 13th up until Part 8. When 8 bombed at the box office, Paramount decided they milked all they could out of the franchise and sold the rights to it to Cunningham's Horror Inc, which ran New Line Cinema, which was owned by Warner Brothers, giving WB the distribution rights. There was a weird caveat that Horror Inc owned the rights to make any future movie featuring Jason Voorhees, but Paramount held on to the rights for Friday the 13th title... Which was why New Line's two offerings were called Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X, they legally couldn't use the Friday the 13th title. The movie rights did briefly transfer back over to Paramount, but they needed to film a new Friday the 13th movie during a certain timeframe in order to hang on to those rights but famously decided not too because 'Rings' a Ringu sequel of all things, bombed at the box office, so the rights went back over to Horror Inc... Things get a little murky from there, but at some point Horror Inc gained control over the entire franchise. Paramount was listed as a producer on the Reboot, which I guess was how Horror Inc got the title back, not sure about that part, but current year, Paramount has no further stake in the Friday the 13th franchise other than Internation distribution rights... Even the original 8 movies with the Paramount logo all over them. Currently, Warner Brothers owns all current distribution rights for all the existing Friday the 13th films as the parent company of New Line Cinema which is owned by Horror Inc. Victor Miller owning the rights to the original script, story, and characters muddies what and how future projects can be developed moving forward.

I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 19th 2024, 7:20 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:I've read where New Line has the rights to ne Friday the 13th movies. What's up with that, after the Miller/Cunningham lawsuit?

Miller only owns the rights to the material from the original script that he wrote. Which is a good chunk of the original lore.... All Miller did was try to renew his copyright for his script to continue to get paid royalties for it, like anybody would do in that situation, but Cunningham decided to be a petty greedy bitch who didn't want to pay Miller anymore and wanted to keep all the proceeds for the Friday the 13th franchise for his own company, Horror Inc, and that's basically the crux of the beef that's still ragging today even though Miller technically won the dispute.

Paramount owned the distribution rights to Friday the 13th up until Part 8. When 8 bombed at the box office, Paramount decided they milked all they could out of the franchise and sold the rights to it to Cunningham's Horror Inc, which ran New Line Cinema, which was owned by Warner Brothers, giving WB the distribution rights. There was a weird caveat that Horror Inc owned everything except the title, so Paramount held on to the rights for Friday the 13th title... Which was why New Line's two offerings were called Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X, they legally couldn't use the Friday the 13th title. The movie rights did briefly transfer back over to Paramount, but they needed to film a new Friday the 13th movie during a certain timeframe in order to hang on to those rights but famously decided not too because 'Rings' a Ringu sequel of all things, bombed at the box office, so the rights went back over to Horror Inc... Things get a little murky from there, but at some point Horror Inc gained control over the entire franchise. Paramount was listed as a producer on the Reboot, which I guess was how Horror Inc got the title back, not sure about that part, but current year, Paramount has no further stake in the Friday the 13th franchise... Even the original 8 movies with the Paramount logo all over them. Currently, Warner Brothers owns all current distribution rights for all the existing Friday the 13th films as the parent company of New Line Cinema which is owned by Horror Inc. Victor Miller owning the rights to the original script, story, and characters muddies what and how future projects can be developed moving forward.

Well, that explains it, but I got a huge headache reading this post.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

I'm Not a Goalie and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 20th 2024, 2:00 am

ThePunisher wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Paramount owned the distribution rights to Friday the 13th up until Part 8. When 8 bombed at the box office, Paramount decided they milked all they could out of the franchise and sold the rights to it to Cunningham's Horror Inc, which ran New Line Cinema, which was owned by Warner Brothers, giving WB the distribution rights. There was a weird caveat that Horror Inc owned everything except the title, so Paramount held on to the rights for Friday the 13th title... Which was why New Line's two offerings were called Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X, they legally couldn't use the Friday the 13th title. The movie rights did briefly transfer back over to Paramount, but they needed to film a new Friday the 13th movie during a certain timeframe in order to hang on to those rights but famously decided not too because 'Rings' a Ringu sequel of all things, bombed at the box office, so the rights went back over to Horror Inc... Things get a little murky from there, but at some point Horror Inc gained control over the entire franchise. Paramount was listed as a producer on the Reboot, which I guess was how Horror Inc got the title back, not sure about that part, but current year, Paramount has no further stake in the Friday the 13th franchise... Even the original 8 movies with the Paramount logo all over them. Currently, Warner Brothers owns all current distribution rights for all the existing Friday the 13th films as the parent company of New Line Cinema which is owned by Horror Inc. Victor Miller owning the rights to the original script, story, and characters muddies what and how future projects can be developed moving forward.

And that's the abridged version, lol. It's actually even more complicated then that. If Friday the 13th's rights issues give you a headache, the rights issues for the Evil Dead Franchise would give you a crippling migraine. Five movies, and one series, and all six entities have different distribution and production rights holders, lol.

Halloween and Child's Play also have some interesting rights stories, but they're a bit easier to follow.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia May 20th 2024, 4:45 am

On the Friday The 13th merchandise, it says property of NL and WB. No mention of Paramount at all. I think with the new Jason Universe coming up, it says New Line is associated but not Paramount. So going forward, it’s all WB and NL and Paramount owns the past movies is what I’m getting for the most part?
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 20th 2024, 5:47 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

And that's the abridged version, lol. It's actually even more complicated then that. If Friday the 13th's rights issues give you a headache, the rights issues for the Evil Dead Franchise would give you a crippling migraine. Five movies, and one series, and all six entities have different distribution and production rights holders, lol.

Halloween and Child's Play also have some interesting rights stories, but they're a bit easier to follow.

I'll skip the migraine.

We fans complain about continuity erors and differences in the mask, but the legal stuff that goes on is much worse!!!!
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 25th 2024, 1:15 am

and since those two hate each other.. don't expect a movie anytime soon.. could be years.. might not happen again. Unless after they both pass. shit situation for the fans.
mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 25th 2024, 9:22 am

mnknut30 wrote:and since those two hate each other.. don't expect a movie anytime soon.. could be years.. might not happen again. Unless after they both pass. shit situation for the fans.

So who gets the rights after they pass on?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 25th 2024, 6:28 pm

ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:and since those two hate each other.. don't expect a movie anytime soon.. could be years.. might not happen again. Unless after they both pass. shit situation for the fans.

So who gets the rights after they pass on?

New Line Cinema/Horror Inc will continue to hold the rights to the franchise regardless of Cunningham's involvement. Cunningham just happens to be the head of the company who owns the rights, he doesn't own them personally. New Line would continue to control the rights for as long as the company feels like owning them or stays in business.

Miller's situation is a bit murkier, it would depend on the details of the suite and how long he was granted ownership rights of his original script. Under most circumstances, the rights should pass down to his next of kin, depending on his will. Ironically, for a good example for what should happen, you don't even have to look farther than New Line Cinema. I believe it's been since 2019 that the Craven estate reclaimed ownership to the rights to Freddy Krueger and A Nightmare on Elm Street, not New Line Cinema... You know, the studio dubbed as the house that Freddy built. Kind of ironic that New Line has more control over Jason now than they do over Freddy.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 26th 2024, 6:12 am

I've made an article about this:

Why is it called Jason Universe and not the Friday the 13th Universe?

And for those saying if they pass well that's why Estates exist and I can guarantee that Sean Cunningham son is the next in line of who produces what and who doesn't this is like the Nightmare on Elmstreet situation where when Wes Craven passed away the licenses went to his family and not New Line Cinema.

Wikipedia sorta made it more linear:

Paramount Pictures (original distribution, co-distribution since 2013)

Warner Bros. Pictures (distribution since 1993 and owner of the Friday the 13th and Jason Voorhees trademarks via New Line)

Victor Miller (current owner of the first movie)

Horror Inc. (current owner of the franchise)

This can be shortened to...

Paramount Pictures Company are basically the original sellers but right now they are the co-distributors they handle the formats from Direct TV, DVD, direct to DVD, and movie theaters since 2013

Warner Bros. Pictures are the new distributors since 1993 and that New Line Cinema is owned so it's all the same just that NLC has the trademarks for Jason Voorhees (The Character)/Friday the 13th (Title)

Horror, Inc. Are basically the owners of everything else that's seperate properties other than film distributions such as Comics, Video Games, and etc.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2024, 10:01 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:I've made an article about this:

Why is it called Jason Universe and not the Friday the 13th Universe?

And for those saying if they pass well that's why Estates exist and I can guarantee that Sean Cunningham son is the next in line of who produces what and who doesn't this is like the Nightmare on Elmstreet situation where when Wes Craven passed away the licenses went to his family and not New Line Cinema.

Wikipedia sorta made it more linear:

Paramount Pictures (original distribution, co-distribution since 2013)

Warner Bros. Pictures (distribution since 1993 and owner of the Friday the 13th and Jason Voorhees trademarks via New Line)

Victor Miller (current owner of the first movie)

Horror Inc. (current owner of the franchise)

This can be shortened to...

Paramount Pictures Company are basically the original sellers but right now they are the co-distributors they handle the formats from Direct TV, DVD, direct to DVD, and movie theaters since 2013

Warner Bros. Pictures are the new distributors since 1993 and that New Line Cinema is owned so it's all the same just that NLC has the trademarks for Jason Voorhees (The Character)/Friday the 13th (Title)

Horror, Inc. Are basically the owners of everything else that's seperate properties other than film distributions such as Comics, Video Games, and etc.

And no movie on the horizon.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 26th 2024, 1:06 pm

ThePunisher wrote:And no movie on the horizon.

Sadly...an estimation of 3 years...
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 26th 2024, 2:50 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:

I think it will be way longer than 3 years.. Not to be a pessimist but add that he said AT the earliest it would 3 years. Then you got development which takes years. A new movie would be probably be closer to 6-7 years and at that point it will be almost 20 years since a new movie. I hope I AM wrong but I dont care for this jason universe stuff.. I like the movies. The show will last two seasons and then get cancelled or another lawsuit will happen.
mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2024, 4:55 pm

mnknut30 wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

I think it will be way longer than 3 years.. Not to be a pessimist but add that he said AT the earliest it would 3 years. Then you got development which takes years. A new movie would be probably be closer to 6-7 years and at that point it will be almost 20 years since a new movie. I hope I AM wrong but I dont care for this jason universe stuff.. I like the movies. The show will last two seasons and then get cancelled or another lawsuit will happen.

I think anything coming out will get too bogged down in fighting over contracts and yes, more lawsuits.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 26th 2024, 5:02 pm

same. I hate to say it but the movies are probably done and if one is in production. There will alot of fighting behind the scenes about the script, direction..then it will be cancelled again once in development. This is probably why warner bros didnt make one when the acquired the rights around the time they released that metal boxset. Then a movie was in development at one point and then cancelled around the lawsuit. The losers end up being the fans here while we keep pumping money to the franchise (new boxsets, new editions, action figures etc) to the people who own the rights who continue to fight with each other.. Super lame.

mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2024, 5:19 pm

mnknut30 wrote:same. I hate to say it but the movies are probably done and if one is in production. There will alot of fighting behind the scenes about the script, direction..then it will be cancelled again once in development. This is probably why warner bros didnt make one when the acquired the rights around the time they released that metal boxset. Then a movie was in development at one point and then cancelled around the lawsuit. The losers end up being the fans here while we keep pumping money to the franchise (new boxsets, new editions, action figures etc) to the people who own the rights who continue to fight with each other.. Super lame.

We need to get the people who hold the rights together in one room and keep them there until they figure out how to split up the money.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum