Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what movie do you think is the most mainstream

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what movie do you think is the most mainstream Empty what movie do you think is the most mainstream

Post by jasn88cubs May 10th 2024, 2:51 pm

like, what movie do you think is most popular in society, when people think of this franchise they think of this movie specifically

I say pt 4 due to final chapter and cory feldman OR pt 8 due to NYC and peak 80's

jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

ZroSkeerd likes this post!

Back to top Go down

what movie do you think is the most mainstream Empty Re: what movie do you think is the most mainstream

Post by ZroSkeerd May 10th 2024, 3:05 pm

I want to say the original is the most mainstream, but I also know when you say Friday the 13th, people don't think of Betsy Palmer, they think of Jason. So I think I'd have to say Part 4.

It definitely had the best production values of the older films. It was the first one to really look like some money went into it. Plus you have a couple of established actors in Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover, and both of them were one year away from their biggest hits (Goonies and Back to the Future). Even Lawrence Monoson, who played Ted, would go on to appear in Mask the next year, which was a beloved film at the time, and have a regular career as a television character actor.
ZroSkeerd
ZroSkeerd
The Local
The Local

jasn88cubs likes this post!

Back to top Go down

what movie do you think is the most mainstream Empty Re: what movie do you think is the most mainstream

Post by ThePunisher May 10th 2024, 4:11 pm

I'm actually not sure how to answer this question, and here's why. There are times when I mention Friday the 13th to people, and they say, "Oh the Jamie Lee Curtis movie!!!!":
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

jasn88cubs and ZroSkeerd also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ZroSkeerd May 10th 2024, 4:27 pm

ThePunisher wrote:I'm actually not sure how to answer this question, and here's why. There are times when I mention Friday the 13th to people, and they say, "Oh the Jamie Lee Curtis movie!!!!":

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I get it, though. I've had similar "discussions". I once brought up Friday the 13th to a co-worker and she said, "Oh, I love those movies," and then started humming the Halloween theme.
ZroSkeerd
ZroSkeerd
The Local
The Local

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 10th 2024, 6:06 pm

ZroSkeerd wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:I'm actually not sure how to answer this question, and here's why. There are times when I mention Friday the 13th to people, and they say, "Oh the Jamie Lee Curtis movie!!!!":

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I get it, though. I've had similar "discussions". I once brought up Friday the 13th to a co-worker and she said, "Oh, I love those movies," and then started humming the Halloween theme.

You wonder what part they just don't get.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Trekapedia and ZroSkeerd also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 11th 2024, 11:58 pm

Most mainstream? I'll have to Jason Lives is winning, so many people praise the film.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 12th 2024, 7:27 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:Most mainstream? I'll have to Jason Lives is winning, so many people praise the film.

I'd like to see a debate between part 6 and part 4.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 12th 2024, 5:19 pm

Well, let's break this down logically. When we say Mainstream, we're inferring mostly to people who aren't necessarily hardcore Friday the 13th fans, or even horror fans in general, so we have to ask ourselves, what does a casual movie goer think of when they think of the Friday the 13th franchise? They think of the machete wielding undead serial killer in a hockey mask. To be honest, I don't think casual fans think of any one particular movie as mainstream, since they're all interchangeable to them. What is mainstream is the image of Jason himself, and since when most people think of Jason, they envision something along the lines of the Part 6/7 image of Jason... So I'd have to say Part 6 is the most mainstream, since that's the first time we see the image of Jason that pops into the average person's head when they think of him.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 12th 2024, 10:22 pm

theres kind of two ways to look at this. The most mainstream? meaning stylish or the most overrated/praised movie?

Id say Freddy Vs Jason/Jason X both look the most mainstream from a visual standpoint. Trendy camera work, overly use of CGI. Current at the time rock/metal artist soundtracks to fit in with the times.

The one that people tend to like the most, usually is high on most fans friday the 13th lists and some argue its overrated: That would be Jason Lives. Great directing, visuals and characters. A pure 80s fun slasher. Good kills, dumb humor, good soundtrack, great score. Also it tends to get better reviews even with some of the big industry reviewers at that time. So i can see why people would argue its overrated too.
mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 13th 2024, 4:57 am

I love these responses! Very Happy
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 13th 2024, 4:24 pm

mnknut30 wrote:
theres kind of two ways to look at this. The most mainstream? meaning stylish or the most overrated/praised movie?

Id say Freddy Vs Jason/Jason X both look the most mainstream from a visual standpoint. Trendy camera work, overly use of CGI. Current at the time rock/metal artist soundtracks to fit in with the times.

The one that people tend to like the most, usually is high on most fans friday the 13th lists and some argue its overrated: That would be Jason Lives. Great directing, visuals and characters. A pure 80s fun slasher. Good kills, dumb humor, good soundtrack, great score. Also it tends to get better reviews even with some of the big industry reviewers at that time. So i can see why people would argue its overrated too.

FvJ drew big crowds when I saw it. It seemed like a good way to restart both franchises, at least as an idea.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 25th 2024, 1:02 am

ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:

FvJ drew big crowds when I saw it. It seemed like a good way to restart both franchises, at least as an idea.

and it was.. I wasnt hating on it.. just saying it seemed the slickest looking and trying to go for a mainstream appeal.
mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 25th 2024, 9:12 am

mnknut30 wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:

and it was.. I wasnt hating on it.. just saying it seemed the slickest looking and trying to go for a mainstream appeal.

They made a few mistakes though. Jason afraid of water? It also seemed like Jason was more prevalent in the movie than Jason.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 26th 2024, 6:08 am

ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:
theres kind of two ways to look at this.  The most mainstream? meaning stylish or the most overrated/praised movie?  

The one that people tend to like the most, usually is high on most fans friday the 13th lists and some argue its overrated: That would be Jason Lives.  Great directing, visuals and characters.  A pure 80s fun slasher.  Good kills, dumb humor, good soundtrack, great score.   Also it tends to get better reviews even with some of the big industry reviewers at that time.  So i can see why people would argue its overrated too.

FvJ drew big crowds when I saw it.  It seemed like a good way to restart both franchises, at least as an idea.

They made a few mistakes though.  Jason afraid of water?   It also seemed like Jason was more prevalent in the movie than Jason.

I can guarantee that people just wanted to see two horror icons fight but that plotline made people go "what the fuck..." more than ever especially those who knows the series.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2024, 10:07 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
mnknut30 wrote:
theres kind of two ways to look at this.  The most mainstream? meaning stylish or the most overrated/praised movie?  

The one that people tend to like the most, usually is high on most fans friday the 13th lists and some argue its overrated: That would be Jason Lives.  Great directing, visuals and characters.  A pure 80s fun slasher.  Good kills, dumb humor, good soundtrack, great score.   Also it tends to get better reviews even with some of the big industry reviewers at that time.  So i can see why people would argue its overrated too.

FvJ drew big crowds when I saw it.  It seemed like a good way to restart both franchises, at least as an idea.

They made a few mistakes though.  Jason afraid of water?   It also seemed like Jason was more prevalent in the movie than Jason.

I can guarantee that people just wanted to see two horror icons fight but that plotline made people go "what the fuck..." more than ever especially those who knows the series.

And to think we never got a sequel.....
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by mnknut30 May 26th 2024, 3:11 pm

Im going to be a massive hypocrite. I re-watched FVJ last night and came to realization how BAD i hate this movie. Like I got unbelievable hate for it. For the people that like it.. I respect you and thats totally fine that you dig it and I wont give you a hard time for liking it.

But there is so much of that I CANT STAND. Every single character sucks. The kung fu like action with the fights no thanks.. Kelly rowland I cant stand her. TOO much CGI. Kens version of jason is terrible, Jasons look is also atrocious. The humor is awful...

There are a few things i do like: SOME of the kills (NOT ALL the bonfire massacre was awful) are great..., The soundtrack (chimaira -army of me \m/)

I rank this as the worst in the friday the 13th franchise..and the second worst in the NOES franchise. That number one goes to Freddys Dead.
mnknut30
mnknut30
Hiker
Hiker

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2024, 5:09 pm

mnknut30 wrote:Im going to be a massive hypocrite. I re-watched FVJ last night and came to realization how BAD i hate this movie. Like I got unbelievable hate for it. For the people that like it.. I respect you and thats totally fine that you dig it and I wont give you a hard time for liking it.

But there is so much of that I CANT STAND. Every single character sucks. The kung fu like action with the fights no thanks.. Kelly rowland I cant stand her. TOO much CGI. Kens version of jason is terrible, Jasons look is also atrocious. The humor is awful...

There are a few things i do like: SOME of the kills (NOT ALL the bonfire massacre was awful) are great..., The soundtrack (chimaira -army of me \m/)

I rank this as the worst in the friday the 13th franchise..and the second worst in the NOES franchise. That number one goes to Freddys Dead.

I only saw this once in the theater and got the DVD simple for completeness. I thought Monica Keena was annoying, and Lochlyn Monroe's character could have been played by just about ANYONE.

I got humor out of the rave, since it seemed like ony one row of corn was catching on fire.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees June 7th 2024, 10:59 am

mnknut30 wrote:Im going to be a massive hypocrite. I re-watched FVJ last night and came to realization how BAD i hate this movie. Like I got unbelievable hate for it.  For the people that like it.. I respect you and thats totally fine that you dig it and I wont give you a hard time for liking it.

But there is so much of that I CANT STAND. Every single character sucks. The kung fu like action with the fights no thanks.. Kelly rowland I cant stand her.  TOO much CGI.  Kens version of jason is terrible, Jasons look is also atrocious. The humor is awful...

Yeah Freddy Vs Jason is down on my list of favorites.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 June 7th 2024, 3:24 pm

I never truly loved FvJ either and I have seen the movie numerous times. But then again, this might be caused not by the movie itself, but one of the two main protagonists, namely Freddy. Personally I have only seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street and the remake and I know simply nothing about the guy, other than he's a child molester, who haunts people through their dreams. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the rest of the NoES movies one day and then get back to FvJ with a completely different perspective.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia June 7th 2024, 9:32 pm

For me, it’s Part IV. That feels like it’s the most real one to me. I get he wakes up in the morgue, but after that, it’s most real. You love these characters and don’t want to see them die. The kills are cool and they’re not like overly fantastical, at least to me. They’re more grounded you know?

After that, it’s probably Part 2 for me.
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher June 8th 2024, 9:36 am

Trekapedia wrote:For me, it’s Part IV. That feels like it’s the most real one to me. I get he wakes up in the morgue, but after that, it’s most real. You love these characters and don’t want to see them die. The kills are cool and they’re not like overly fantastical, at least to me. They’re more grounded you know?

After that, it’s probably Part 2 for me.

Which characters did you find easy to care about?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia July 12th 2024, 1:01 am

In The Final Chapter, it was easiest for me to care about Tommy, his sister and Rob.

In Part 2, I cared most about Vickie, Mark, Ginny and Paul. I loved Ted too. He was a good guy who wasn’t mean but would joke around and just seemed like a really nice guy.
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 12th 2024, 4:31 am

Trekapedia wrote:In The Final Chapter, it was easiest for me to care about Tommy, his sister and Rob.

In Part 2, I cared most about Vickie, Mark, Ginny and Paul. I loved Ted too. He was a good guy who wasn’t mean but would joke around and just seemed like a really nice guy.

I guess you could say there are good people in any crowd.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Trekapedia likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 12th 2024, 5:46 am

Ivan1987 wrote:I never truly loved FvJ either and I have seen the movie numerous times. But then again, this might be caused not by the movie itself, but one of the two main protagonists, namely Freddy. Personally I have only seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street and the remake and I know simply nothing about the guy, other than he's a child molester, who haunts people through their dreams. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the rest of the NoES movies one day and then get back to FvJ with a completely different perspective.

NOES series is very hit or miss, and this is coming from a huge horror fan, you'll have to notice each movie is very different from the last but it gets very "WTF" at moments.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 12th 2024, 5:42 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:
Ivan1987 wrote:I never truly loved FvJ either and I have seen the movie numerous times. But then again, this might be caused not by the movie itself, but one of the two main protagonists, namely Freddy. Personally I have only seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street and the remake and I know simply nothing about the guy, other than he's a child molester, who haunts people through their dreams. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the rest of the NoES movies one day and then get back to FvJ with a completely different perspective.

NOES series is very hit or miss, and this is coming from a huge horror fan, you'll have to notice each movie is very different from the last but it gets very "WTF" at moments.

Only at moments? These are movies about a killer in your dreams!!!!
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum