Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you like what you're doing?

Go down

Do you like what you're doing? Empty Do you like what you're doing?

Post by Ivan1987 May 10th 2024, 4:49 am

So whether you're studying or working, I'm just curious what is it that you do and if you enjoy it. I work in a large cultural institution and I'm getting really tired of all the people that come here. I drink a lot of energy drinks to stay fit. Sometimes the only way how to forget this job is to finally fall asleep in bed.

But the thing is I cannot quit. Where I'm from, you can find a lot of shitty jobs, but nothing as stable as this one. I do it for almost seven years and I already faced burnout a couple of times, but always found the strength to get back. As they say, working with people is the most difficult. But it took me a lot of time to find and maintain this job and I need to keep it.

How about you?
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Do you like what you're doing? Empty Re: Do you like what you're doing?

Post by ZroSkeerd May 10th 2024, 1:23 pm

I'm with you on the crappy job market. I work compliance for a medical testing company. Basically I make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed and make sure all our customers' policies and procedures line up the way the law says they should.

Physically, it's the easiest job I've ever had, but I've never had one that's more stressful. The pay's not great, but it's stable.

Before this I was looking for work for almost a year. Just on Indeed I submitted more than 80 applications before this place finally gave me a call, so leaving isn't an option because there's no guarantee how long it will take to line something up and I've got a family to worry about.

Overall, the job's not bad. I do get tired of feeling like I'm dealing with children all the time because you've got doctors and nurses - pretty intelligent people - who either can't or won't follow simple instructions for months on end, and then they panic and try to blame us when they have to scramble a week before an inspection to make sure they don't get shut down.
ZroSkeerd
ZroSkeerd
The Local
The Local

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 May 10th 2024, 2:55 pm

ZroSkeerd wrote:Physically, it's the easiest job I've ever had, but I've never had one that's more stressful. The pay's not great, but it's stable.
Man, you just took this straight out of my mouth. Very Happy

I have also worked here and there before, I have tried a lot of jobs before. This one is the first one, where someone appreciates what I do and planned to keep me from the very beginning. The pay here isn't great either, but since I don't have no wife or kids, I guess I'm OK with the way things are.

But yeah, as I said before, the everyday reality is just my head exploding at any minute. I have hundreds of people knocking on my door every day, people, who don't care that I'm tired or in a bad mood. I simply have to serve them all.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 10th 2024, 4:19 pm

I work in a water quality lab for a city's water supply. I get out and collect water samples, do data review and in the lab, I analyze some samples and make simple solutions. The pay and benefits are decent, and I have healthcare and a pension.

For the most part I like it. I don't have to flip burgers or clean bathrooms anymore. I'm expanding into doing some research and presenting at technical conferences. What I DON'T like is the nitpicky nonsense done by managers and sometimes other people who are not understanding what's going on.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 11th 2024, 5:06 am

It's 50/50...I been here for a few years and only complaint is usually the customers, weekly paying, and never really needing to travel far for work is honestly within my range, and when it comes to working? I am always looking to work so I'm not disliking at all at what I do for right now but it MIGHT change depending on them.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 11th 2024, 7:39 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:It's 50/50...I been here for a few years and only complaint is usually the customers, weekly paying, and never really needing to travel far for work is honestly within my range, and when it comes to working? I am always looking to work so I'm not disliking at all at what I do for right now but it MIGHT change depending on them.

I'm glad I'm not in retail anymore. My expectations have changed over the years. I used to have to work in retail because I was in college and you had to deal with customers. I got very tired of dealing with people who looked down on me as a retail guy, but when they wanted something, I must know the cure to all exotic diseases.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs May 13th 2024, 9:02 pm

despise what i do, the dumb questions, the corporate world, then constant watching what i do

sucks
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 July 7th 2024, 5:05 am

So I just read what I wrote here earlier. It definitely isn't that difficult with my job as one might assume while reading the above posts. One just needs to find a balance, excercise a lot, regenerate, doesn't matter what you do.

Back when I started it, I was younger and I probably had a lot more energy than now. Back in, let's say 2019, I would in no way be writing that I'm getting exhausted, I would rather be writing that I'm excited. The aspects of the job almost never changed, only I got older, I guess that's it.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc July 9th 2024, 4:42 am

I'm a Project Manager here in the UK and projects are weird because they usually involve a lot of stress for a short time.

Back in 2016, I had a lot of stress from it and decided that I was going to do everything I can to retire early. So I'm saving hard, I've really reduced my spending and I'm hoping to be able to leave my job in about five years and do whatever I want.

That said, I quite like my job now. But not as much as I dislike the concept of working. I can't see me being able to do my job in my sixties and at that point how many good years do you have left? Probably not many.
t8mc
t8mc
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 9th 2024, 5:48 pm

t8mc wrote:I'm a Project Manager here in the UK and projects are weird because they usually involve a lot of stress for a short time.

Back in 2016, I had a lot of stress from it and decided that I was going to do everything I can to retire early. So I'm saving hard, I've really reduced my spending and I'm hoping to be able to leave my job in about five years and do whatever I want.

That said, I quite like my job now. But not as much as I dislike the concept of working. I can't see me being able to do my job in my sixties and at that point how many good years do you have left? Probably not many.

I think I have a lot of good years left, and I've thought about volunteering in the water quality field. I think it's important.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc July 10th 2024, 2:10 pm

ThePunisher wrote:
t8mc wrote:I'm a Project Manager here in the UK and projects are weird because they usually involve a lot of stress for a short time.

I think I have a lot of good years left, and I've thought about volunteering in the water quality field. I think it's important.

Crystal Lake has some worrying things floating in it.
t8mc
t8mc
Town Resident
Town Resident

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 10th 2024, 4:42 pm

t8mc wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:

Crystal Lake has some worrying things floating in it.

Let me do a thorough analysis and get back to you.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum