Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently got into Plex, building a streaming library

Go down

Recently got into Plex, building a streaming library Empty Recently got into Plex, building a streaming library

Post by VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow April 6th 2024, 11:12 am

It's been a long while since I posted here. I recently learned how to use Plex media server and I've been building up some movie rips from my own collection.

What I find neat is that you can organize it where, for example, you could have a primary version of a film, like a 4K file, and you can add featurettes from the DVDs or blu rays. The kicker is that some releases have special features on one version that another version doesn't have, so you could rip them all and have them available on one Plex library.

I recently got the 4K Collector's edition of Halloween 1978. It has its own special features but I don't think it has the features from the 35th anniversary edition blu ray, which I bought when it first released and never got rid of it. It has a special feature where Jamie Lee Curtis went to a horror convention and she said it would be her last one.

There was also the recent 4K release of Aliens which is apparently upscaled from the Blu-Ray to 4K with AI. I don't like the fact they did it with AI, as they should have scanned the film if they still have it. It does come with a Dolby Atmos audio track, which is nice. With MKV remuxing I could put the audio on the blu ray video and probably do a better job of a 4K upscale myself.

I think with as many releases of the alien franchise there are probably special features spread across them that aren't included in all versions, so Plex will make to easy to compile them all in one convenient place.
VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow
VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow
Traveler
Traveler

Back to top Go down

Recently got into Plex, building a streaming library Empty Re: Recently got into Plex, building a streaming library

Post by Jason Voorhees April 17th 2024, 8:32 am

VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow wrote:It's been a long while since I posted here. I recently learned how to use Plex media server and I've been building up some movie rips from my own collection.

What I find neat is that you can organize it where, for example, you could have a primary version of a film, like a 4K file, and you can add featurettes from the DVDs or blu rays. The kicker is that some releases have special features on one version that another version doesn't have, so you could rip them all and have them available on one Plex library.

I recently got the 4K Collector's edition of Halloween 1978. It has its own special features but I don't think it has the features from the 35th anniversary edition blu ray, which I bought when it first released and never got rid of it. It has a special feature where Jamie Lee Curtis went to a horror convention and she said it would be her last one.

There was also the recent 4K release of Aliens which is apparently upscaled from the Blu-Ray to 4K with AI. I don't like the fact they did it with AI, as they should have scanned the film if they still have it. It does come with a Dolby Atmos audio track, which is nice. With MKV remuxing I could put the audio on the blu ray video and probably do a better job of a 4K upscale myself.

I think with as many releases of the alien franchise there are probably special features spread across them that aren't included in all versions, so Plex will make to easy to compile them all in one convenient place.

I remeber talking to a co-worker and he introduced me to Plex as well and I told him that it sounded familiar and as I'm looking through and I see this post! So Hell yeah I'm about to start using it personally!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum