Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meta-Fictional Horror: Friday the 13th and Scream

Go down

Meta-Fictional Horror: Friday the 13th and Scream Empty Meta-Fictional Horror: Friday the 13th and Scream

Post by Jason Voorhees February 4th 2023, 8:40 pm

Disclaimer: The thumbnail for this article is NOT made by me this time the thumbnail came from ScreenRant.

Who did it first?

Not a lot of people will know this but yes the first instance of Meta-Fictional Horror actually came from Tom McLoughlins own work Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives mostly comedic but yet also very self-aware and ALOT of people forget the dates of which these films were released 1986 and 1996 making it a decade apart and so before anyone ask "But how do you know Friday the 13th did it first?? and not Wes Craven's Scream?"

It's quick to pass Jason Lives for this but any diehard Horror or F13 fan notices this from the car scene and the graveyard scene.

Car Scene:
Lizabeth wrote:I've seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly.

Graveyard:
Martin wrote:What? do they think I'm a Fart head?
Kids wrote:YES!"

So have you noticed the metafictional awareness? it all starts when a character truly understands the situation and even if they didn't truly mention any names and stuff it's still there and so I wanna give that Scream already name-drops tons of horror movies such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, Psycho, and other franchises but then again we can't ignore the first few instances from Jason Lives, and yes even Wes Craven's New Nightmare also did it before scream BUT it was years before Scream and a lot of people at that time also didn't catch on to it.

Now IF there are any movies that are this self-aware that I didn't name just let me know in the comments in with the Name and year of the movie and I am fine with being educated, it's a part of growing as a Horror fan.

Discussion:

NOW this is where most people always bring up "But in Scream our favorite slashers are fictional!" and that's fine...it could work out vise versa where Ghostface could and can be a fictional character in either Halloween or Friday the 13th, this is how a Multiverse works fictional or not, Stab could be in Friday, Stab could be in Halloween, and other such gimmicks who is to say it can't work this way? we can't connect everything into one mega-horrorverse it just doesn't work that way.

New Genre?

Movies like Cabin in the Woods is this generation of Meta-Fictional mostly its both satire,parody, and homage to the genre and I am fine with this being a new sub-genre and I am fine if people don't like it either, so to everyone on this forum what is your take on this? do you want it to be a sub-genre? or do you believe another slasher or horror film is the original at the meta-horror?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum