Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is coarse language necessary in horror movies?

Go down

Is coarse language necessary in horror movies

Yes

No

Neutral

View results

Is coarse language necessary in horror movies? Empty Is coarse language necessary in horror movies?

Post by ThePunisher November 29th 2022, 5:58 pm

In Stephen King's Misery, Annie Wilkes and Paul Sheldon talk about the need for coarse language in literature and other entertainment. Paul argued that this is how people really talk, while Annie held the opposing viewpoint.

Do YOU think we need to hear certain forms of language, or do you feel our culture has been made coarser for having this in our entertainment?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Is coarse language necessary in horror movies? Empty Re: Is coarse language necessary in horror movies?

Post by OCT 31 1978 November 29th 2022, 8:36 pm

Well, I think as long as it fits the situation or story…coarse Language isn’t an issue….I know if I am being chased by a maniac in a mask with a weapon…. Or was trapped in some sort of horrific reverse bear trap that is supposed to make me appreciate my life if I survive it…. I will be cursing up a storm before during and after.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Is coarse language necessary in horror movies? Empty Re: Is coarse language necessary in horror movies?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie November 30th 2022, 4:17 pm

Depends on the context of the coarse language and the frequency in which it's used. Coarse language can be used as a way to convey strong emotions or put an exclamation point on tense situations, since yeah, people cuss a lot when crazy shit happens. Yes, it is the way people talk, but most normal people aren't cursing every other word either. If you use strong language too often, you risk lessening the impact of it when you really want the dialogue to land. If your characters start to sound like a bunch of teenaged wanabe edge lords using every word in the English language that would make their grandma cry, then that's the way your movie or story is going to come across.

Rob Zombie might be the worst at overusing foul language. Every other word is MF this, Mfer that... The over usage is distracting at best to the point of being unintentionally comical. Like his films are forced to fit actual dialogue in-between F-Bombs. With his over reliance on coarse language being almost an expectation, when I heard he'd be directing the remake of The Munsters, in my mind, I couldn't help but giggle at the thought of Herman Munster dropping F-Bombs every third line. Thankfully he didn't got in that direction, but you can't blame anyone for assuming.

Overall though, nothing wrong with some naughty language as long as its in the right places or from certain characters that are that person, just as long as it isn't abused to the point of being unironically funny.

Edit: Now that I've thought about it, Freddy's frequent usage of the word 'Bitch' might be another good example of foul language being overused since it kind of became more of a running joke than the word having any real weight to it when he uses it.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher November 30th 2022, 5:51 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:Depends on the context of the coarse language and the frequency in which it's used. Coarse language can be used as a way to convey strong emotions or put an exclamation point on tense situations, since yeah, people cuss a lot when crazy shit happens. Yes, it is the way people talk, but most normal people aren't cursing every other word either. If you use strong language too often, you risk lessening the impact of it when you really want the dialogue to land. If your characters start to sound like a bunch of teenaged wanabe edge lords using every word in the English language that would make their grandma cry, then that's the way your movie or story is going to come across.

Rob Zombie might be the worst at overusing foul language. Every other word is MF this, Mfer that... The over usage is distracting at best to the point of being unintentionally comical. Like his films are forced to fit actual dialogue in-between F-Bombs. With his over reliance on coarse language being almost an expectation, when I heard he'd be directing the remake of The Munsters, in my mind, I couldn't help but giggle at the thought of Herman Munster dropping F-Bombs every third line. Thankfully he didn't got in that direction, but you can't blame anyone for assuming.

Overall though, nothing wrong with some naughty language as long as its in the right places or from certain characters that are that person, just as long as it isn't abused to the point of being unironically funny.

Edit: Now that I've thought about it, Freddy's frequent usage of the word 'Bitch' might be another good example of foul language being overused since it kind of became more of a running joke than the word having any real weight to it when he uses it.

I like your point about Rob Zombie. It seems like he's always portraying a "white trash " image in his films, and it's like he thinks constantly using that language you mention is just SO important.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

OCT 31 1978 and I'm Not a Goalie also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 November 30th 2022, 6:10 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:Depends on the context of the coarse language and the frequency in which it's used. Coarse language can be used as a way to convey strong emotions or put an exclamation point on tense situations, since yeah, people cuss a lot when crazy shit happens. Yes, it is the way people talk, but most normal people aren't cursing every other word either. If you use strong language too often, you risk lessening the impact of it when you really want the dialogue to land. If your characters start to sound like a bunch of teenaged wanabe edge lords using every word in the English language that would make their grandma cry, then that's the way your movie or story is going to come across.

I agree 100% Zombies films are a perfect example of coarse language used in a way that is completely unnecessary it doesn’t progress the story in anyway…. it is just used for shock and repulsion ….. yes people curse……yes these are horror movies…..yes there are more shocking things in the movies than it’s language……how it’s used in the films is the problem for me it actually starts to numb you from what you’re watching making all the shocking moments less in a way.

As for Freddy I could never get tired of hearing him call some someone a bitch but as the movies continued it became a running joke as to what situation he would use in and on who he would say it to as well.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie November 30th 2022, 10:34 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:

I agree 100% Zombies films are a perfect example of coarse language used in a way that is completely unnecessary it doesn’t progress the story in anyway…. it is just used for shock and repulsion ….. yes people curse……yes these are horror movies…..yes there are more shocking things in the movies than it’s language……how it’s used in the films is the problem for me it actually starts to numb you from what you’re watching making all the shocking moments less in a way.

As for Freddy I could never get tired of hearing him call some someone a bitch but as the movies continued it became a running joke as to what situation he would use in and on who he would say it to as well.

LOL, I agree totally about Freddy. Doesn't bother me at all when Freddy says bitch, but when I see a show like Rick and Morty make what's essentially a NES parody where the main joke is that their Freddy knock off says bitch a lot... I can still reluctantly admit maybe he said it one time too many if the perception is he says it that much.

To be fair, I think he only says it seven or eight times throughout the original six films, which isn't all that much... Until Jason vs. Freddy where he almost doubles his total, since by then it had basically become his catchphrase and now it was expected.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum