Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why the hockey mask?

Go down

why the hockey mask? Empty why the hockey mask?

Post by jasn88cubs November 25th 2022, 5:35 pm

why did he feel the need to move from the sack to the mask? better vision? Surely he would have seen one before the time he did in pt 3 right?
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

why the hockey mask? Empty Re: why the hockey mask?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie November 25th 2022, 9:27 pm

The Story Behind the change is pretty well documented. Steven Miner wasn't crazy about the sack and wanted to change things up. One of the crew members happened to be an avid hockey fan and had a bag of hockey gear that included a Detroit Red Wings Hockey Mask. They liked the look and the rest is history.

You're probably wanting an in universe explanation for why he might've changed masks though. The switch could probably be explained as simply as the mask was either lost or badly damaged after it was ripped off his head forcing a change. Fortunately for Jason, Shelly came along with a more than suitable replacement.

Honestly though, the Hockey Mask is simply a million times more marketable than the sack was ever going to be. When people, not even necessarily horror fans, see an old-school hockey mask they think of it as the Jason Mask first and the sport its actually associated with a far distant second... Now that's what I call transcending your genre. I have my doubts the sack would've had the same legs if they'd stuck with it.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees November 25th 2022, 10:16 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:The Story Behind the change is pretty well documented. Steven Miner wasn't crazy about the sack and wanted to change things up. One of the crew members happened to be an avid hockey fan and had a bag of hockey gear that included a Detroit Red Wings Hockey Mask. They liked the look and the rest is history.

You're probably wanting an in universe explanation for why he might've changed masks though. The switch could probably be explained as simply as the mask was either lost or badly damaged after it was ripped off his head forcing a change. Fortunately for Jason, Shelly came along with a more than suitable replacement.

Honestly though, the Hockey Mask is simply a million times more marketable than the sack was ever going to be. When people, not even necessarily horror fans, see an old-school hockey mask they think of it as the Jason Mask first and the sport its actually associated with a far distant second... Now that's what I call transcending your genre. I have my doubts the sack would've had the same legs if they'd stuck with it.

Pretty much this lol!

He seen the Mask and was like "This looks awesome!" and boom we got the iconic Mask!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs November 25th 2022, 10:36 pm

Yea I like the hockey mask and it is more iconic.

Just looking at it from Jason's point of view
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 November 26th 2022, 1:46 pm

From a character standpoint, the hockey mask just happened to be the one Shelley had on him when Jason killed him. Had Shelley been carrying any other kind of mask to wear over his face, Jason would have probably used that one. How weird would that have been if Shelley had a Captain Kirk or Mr. Spock mask? From a production standpoint, thank Odin for the happy circumstance that a hockey fan just happened to have his gear on set at the time when they needed a new look to replace the burlap. That's one instance where fate reared its head at the right time and place. Cheers and game on, my friends
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

jasn88cubs likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher November 26th 2022, 4:54 pm

From what I remember, after the fight between Jason, Ginny and Paul at Jason's shack, Paul ripped the sack off Jason's head to see who he was and what he looked like.

Then Shelley came along, and the rest, as they say, is history. We all know Jason can't just walk around without some sort of disguise until the end of the movie.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

jasn88cubs, SonofOdin6039 and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia December 12th 2022, 5:31 pm

Wasn’t it also that the double sided tape used to secure the sack burned Steve Dash’s face and he knew they’d never let that happen again?
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher December 13th 2022, 10:27 am

Trekapedia wrote:Wasn’t it also that the double sided tape used to secure the sack burned Steve Dash’s face and he knew they’d never let that happen again?

That would be dangerous, wouldn't it? Enter the hockey mask.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Silencer January 26th 2023, 12:28 pm

The hockey mask is also infinitely more scary. Odd, out of place and, with those darkened eyeholes, terrifying.

Silencer
Silencer
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher January 26th 2023, 12:41 pm

Silencer wrote:The hockey mask is also infinitely more scary. Odd, out of place and, with those darkened eyeholes, terrifying.

You're right. It makes you wonder who ( or what) is behind the mask.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum