Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

box office flops

Go down

box office flops Empty box office flops

Post by ThePunisher July 25th 2022, 7:09 am

How hard is it to make a movie anyway? Hard enough, from what has been seen over the years. If you are given a budget, you better produce.

What's YOUR opinion of thee box office flops, and how could failure have been avoided?

1) 47 Ronin- Keanu reeves is a really good actor who is bankable when it comes to making movies, but 47 Ronin failed, losing $152 million dollars. It came out in the holiday season against more marketable movies

2) Basic Instinct 2- an obvious cash grab trying to leach off the success of the original. Sharon Stone wants to direct a third movie.

3) Terminator: Dark Fate - having Arnold and Linda Hamilton trying to stop (another) terminator didn't work the fifth time around. How many ties can you milk a franchise anyway?

4) Ghostbusters 2016- OMG!!!! What DIDN'T go wrong here? Aren't audiences sick of reboots by now?

5) The Mummy - Tom Cruise's version. This one just didn't rake in the cash the way the movie makers expected. Who'd have thought, when you're remaking a Brendan Frasier movie?

6) Stealth - who even remembers this? This movie went up against The Wedding Crashers and lost.

7) Land of the Lost - expensive flop with Will Ferrell.

8) Battlefield Earth- I don't think more than 5 people saw this one.

So what's YOUR take on all this?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

box office flops Empty Re: box office flops

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 25th 2022, 12:48 pm

[quote="ThePunisher"]How hard is it to make a movie anyway? Hard enough, from what has been seen over the years. If you are given a budget, you better produce.

(((It is very Hard to Make a movie if you have a vision for it…… you have to understand there are many people stirring the pot when it comes to movie making the producers, studios, directors…actors….everyone has a vision for the film finding people that will make your movie the way you want to has been a challenge in Hollywood for a long time.))))

What's YOUR opinion of these box office flops, and how could failure have been avoided?

1) 47 Ronin- Keanu reeves is a really good actor who is bankable when it comes to making movies, but 47 Ronin failed, losing $152 million dollars. It came out in the holiday season against more marketable movies

((((( I thought this was a pretty decent movie, when it comes to these types of movies it will come down to Marketing and it’s release date.)))))

2) Basic Instinct 2- an obvious cash grab trying to leach off the success of the original. Sharon Stone wants to direct a third movie.

(((((( I don’t think anyone was clamoring for a sequel to this film, and honestly when your goal is be more provocative than the original you are setting yourselves up for failure…. If I am not mistaken this movie was made just to get out of a law suit with Sharon Stone. I don’t think anything could have stopped it from being a bomb except making it on a incredibly small budget.)))))

3) Terminator: Dark Fate - having Arnold and Linda Hamilton trying to stop (another) terminator didn't work the fifth time around. How many ties can you milk a franchise anyway?

((((( This film failed for a few reasons…. One during production the Director attacked its fan base calling them Misogynistic if they didn’t like what he was doing, two bringing back a beloved character and making her story meaningless and irrelevant is not a recipe for franchise success.
If this was a film that respected what came before instead of replacing its original Heroes lead John Connor for a minority diversity check box character it could have been a successful addition especially since it was supposed to be technically a true T3 sequel to Terminator 2 with James Cameron in its corner…… The Terminator franchise even still has a strong fan base however in this day and age where it’s popular to attack your fans and call them toxic to get the approval of a vocal minority of twitter’s followers that don’t even watch the types of movies you make will chase them away every time.))))!

4) Ghostbusters 2016- OMG!!!! What DIDN'T go wrong here? Aren't audiences sick of reboots by now?

((((( This movie was always going to fail…. Fans of the franchise wanted a continuation of the first two movies…..I could go into more about it but honestly no one wanted to invest any money into these new Ghostbusters because no one cared about these comedians to begin with.))))))

5) The Mummy - Tom Cruise's version. This one just didn't rake in the cash the way the movie makers expected. Who'd have thought, when you're remaking a Brendan Frasier movie?

((((( I love the Mummy movies with Brendan Frasier I think a lot of people do to be honest…. And even though Tom Cruise was attached his Star power couldn’t save a movie that didn’t come off as fun or epic as the other Mummy films…..they should have gone either more darker with this film or lighter this has a in the middle look that audiences just didn’t believe in.))))

6) Stealth - who even remembers this? This movie went up against The Wedding Crashers and lost.

(((( I remember this movie…. And just not caring about the characters to be honest…..if you make a film about an artificial intelligence threat you need to have human character that you relate to or care about on film.))))))

7) Land of the Lost - expensive flop with Will Ferrell.

(((((This movie just sucked….. pointless and not funny. No savings it.))))))

8) Battlefield Earth- I don't think more than 5 people saw this one.

((((((( never saw it……..lol.)))))))))

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 25th 2022, 2:11 pm

Ooooo if we talking about box office flops we gotta list...

Ghostbusters (2016) aka Female Ghostbusters

FANT4STIC aka Fantastic 4 (2015)

These were outright BAD.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th July 26th 2022, 2:02 am

I used to like Ghostbusters (2016) since I was 10 in 2016 now years later in 2021-2022, now i was 15 now 16 I hate that remake as of now.
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th July 26th 2022, 2:02 am

Hell even Ghostbusters afterlife was better! And got better reviews.
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 26th 2022, 5:58 am

Jasonvoorhees13th wrote:Hell even Ghostbusters afterlife was better! And got better reviews.

That’s because it’s a tremendously better film…..
It actually respects the original material characters and Fans it attempts to pass down to original created characters the legacy of the Original Ghostbusters in a way that is heartfelt and rewarding.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfire82877 July 26th 2022, 9:40 am

OCT 31 1978 wrote:
Jasonvoorhees13th wrote:Hell even Ghostbusters afterlife was better! And got better reviews.

It actually respects the original material characters and Fans it attempts to pass down to original created characters the legacy of the Original Ghostbusters in a way that is heartfelt and rewarding.

That is 100% correct. Fans wanted a continuation, not the abomination that they put out back in 2016. The cast was not the problem with that movie. Paul Feig was. He had a cast of ladies that could have delivered one of the funniest movies of all time, but his script totally sucked. Even with his horrible script, the movie might have still been a slight success if they had a call back to the OG Ghostbusters. Instead, he had Bill, Dan and Ernie make meaningless cameos hoping the fans would accept his trash of a movie.
Dragonfire82877
Dragonfire82877
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

OCT 31 1978 and I'm Not a Goalie also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfire82877 July 26th 2022, 9:47 am

Afterlife was the movie that diehard Ghostbuster fans, such as myself, have waited for since Ghostbusters 2. The movie was great and you can tell Jason Reitman poured his heart and soul into it to give the fans what they wanted. Yes, there were some parts in the movie that was purely fan service, but that's what a lot of people wanted. It also ended up being a great way to celebrate Harold Ramis. Very excited to see what happens in the next Ghostbusters film that is scheduled out December 2023. Looks as though Ernie Hudson is going to reprise his role of Winston at least one more time.
Dragonfire82877
Dragonfire82877
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

OCT 31 1978, I'm Not a Goalie and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th July 26th 2022, 8:37 pm

Ghostbusters fans in (2016) *The clip of Casper (1995) (*Ray stantz*) Who ya gonna call? Someone else!. After seeing this abomination of a remake.
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Dragonfire82877 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 26th 2022, 10:32 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:

This right here! I still got to watch Ghostbuster Afterlife but man I heard it was AMAZING.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

OCT 31 1978 and Dragonfire82877 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 27th 2022, 3:49 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:

This right here! I still got to watch Ghostbuster Afterlife but man I heard it was AMAZING.

What are you waiting for bro!!!

“Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes! Volcanoes!” – Egon Spengler

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Dragonfire82877 and I'm Not a Goalie also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfire82877 July 27th 2022, 3:59 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:

"The dead rising from the grave!" - Winston Zeddemore

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!" - Peter Venkman

Sorry, I had to.
Dragonfire82877
Dragonfire82877
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

OCT 31 1978, I'm Not a Goalie and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 July 27th 2022, 6:30 pm

47 Ronin wasn't a bad movie, I think it just came out at the wrong time. It had a decent plot but fir some reason it was hard to get into it. Basic Instinct 2 was a blink and you miss it types like Poison Ivy 2 and so on. It s biggest failing was the Sequel Curse when the original's biggest selling point was Sharon Stone's beaver shot. Terminator Dark Fate suffered from the confusion created by Salvation and Gynysis. Bringing back Sarah Connor was a great touch, but the story line deviated badly from the tried and true. Okay, Ghostbusters 2016...this movie has enough hate, so I will simply say this movie could have been better if the female team worked alongside the original we all know and love. It could have also benefitted from a lack of the campy humor like the cops and soldiers dancing in the street and the rock concert. They tried to make it goofy and they failed. Thankfully, Afterlife brought it back to a serious storyline with humor injected in the right places. Tom Cruise's Mumny was pretty much the same as Suicide Squad.. After Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, the Mummy franchise was in spiral but this story line did nothing to pull ot out of its descent. I thought Stealth was actually a decent movie but the overall sinister plot made it hard to rewatch. It would have fared better if the A.I. in the plane hadn't malfunctioned as much as developed self awareness and turned completely rogue against all of humanity and had to be destroyed by both its creators and their enemies. Land of the Lost was simply yet another attempt for Will Ferrell to do his comedy routine, but this time the gags were flat. The only thing that would have saved this movie would have been a serious script, not slapstick. And as for Battlefield Earth, well, I was not one of the 5 people who saw it nor did I lose sleep over it lol. Cheers and game on, my friends
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie July 27th 2022, 7:46 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:

I'm not ashamed at all to admit I geeked out when I finally got to see Egon's collection of Mold's, Fungi, and Spores. It was such a weirdly specific throw away line from the original movie to call back too, and stuff like that is such a big reason why I love Afterlife.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978, Dragonfire82877 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie July 27th 2022, 8:53 pm

Everyone's pretty much said what I'd have to say about Ghostbusters 2016, so I'd like to mention how The Mummy is a sore spot for me. I'm a big fan of the Classic Universal Monster Movies, but I'm self aware enough to understand I'm in a minority and that a Cinematic Monsterverse was pretty much doomed to failure. Maybe it could've had some legs if they'd focused more on the horror aspect of those films on lower budgets instead of going the Fantasy-Action route with big name stars who feel out-of-place in the roles they were cast in.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 27th 2022, 11:01 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:Everyone's pretty much said what I'd have to say about Ghostbusters 2016, so I'd like to mention how The Mummy is a sore spot for me. I'm a big fan of the Classic Universal Monster Movies, but I'm self aware enough to understand I'm in a minority and that a Cinematic Monsterverse was pretty much doomed to failure. Maybe it could've had some legs if they'd focused more on the horror aspect of those films on lower budgets instead of going the Fantasy-Action route with big name stars who feel out-of-place in the roles they were cast in.

I agree 100%

Tom Cruise had no business in a Monsterverse Mummy movie….
Sing it with me…”One of these things doesn’t belong.”

I agree it really should have gone darker Horror roots instead of Action thriller.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th December 30th 2022, 11:56 pm

And there's The Emoji Movie from 2017.
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees December 31st 2022, 9:36 pm

Jasonvoorhees13th wrote:And there's The Emoji Movie from 2017.

I'm 50/50 since it did make back $167,776,646 from it's $50,000,000 budget so it did good at the box office but given that most adults and not kids liked the film so I guess it was a flop but also wasn't a flop?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum