Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Halloween franchise

Go down

The Halloween franchise Empty The Halloween franchise

Post by ThePunisher July 14th 2022, 8:05 pm

From what I've read, a producer has stated that Halloween Ends will NOT be the final Halloween movie.

If this is actually true, how do you feel about this statement?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

The Halloween franchise Empty Re: The Halloween franchise

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 14th 2022, 9:39 pm

To be honest I hope they never stop making Halloween/ Myers movies….. I say keep them coming till they decide to send Myers into space quit making them before making that one.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie July 14th 2022, 9:47 pm

I read something along the same lines this morning, and thought about making a post about it myself, lol.

Personally, I feel that three movies is just the right amount for the current iteration of the franchise... As much as I'm enjoying this series of films, I understand that it's not a good idea to oversaturate the market with too many films one after another. That's a big reason why a lot of these classic franchises fizzled out the first time. They had to go away for a while for the general public to miss them. We're already being asked to stretch our suspension of disbelief with Super Human Old Man Michael, and the apparent time skip between Kills and Ends isn't going to help that. If the series goes much further passed Kills, Michael's going to start needing a walker to get him from victim to victim.

I'm just not sure what they can do passed Halloween Ends without going in a differen't direction entirely... And history has already shown us that any attempt to move on from Michael as the focus isn't going to be accepted, and yet another reboot or reimagining so soon just sounds absurd at this point. I say just leave it as a trilogy for the time being.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 15th 2022, 5:22 am

I will keep it 100% as I usually do...

Halloween 4-6: Humanization of Michael to me was a nail in the coffin...him having these "complex human emotions" was completely and I mean completely nonsensical...Michael Myers aka the Shape is suppose to be an emotionless and ruthless killer! He isnt suppose to be this "Im uncle mikey!" But I will say I love Danielle Harris perfromance in these films and that was the saving grace, the actors did AMAZING but the plot and story were not!

H20-Resurrection: by far to me the WORST in the FRANCHISE! Overall shouldnt have been made whatsoever!

Reboot Halloween 1-2: Rob Zombie's Halloween the 1st one was amazing for a remake, the sequel was not...but unlike these previous installments listed this was better than the rest because Michael was absolutely brutal.

HALLOWEEN 2018,Halloween: Kills, and Halloween: Ends: Absolutely amazing! The most accurate sequel to the franchise ever! Nick Castle and James Jude Courtney is the best duo ever! The kills are amazing and the storyline so far is interesting at all times to watch!

Overall the Original and the sequel were Iconic!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 15th 2022, 9:25 am

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:I read something along the same lines this morning, and thought about making a post about it myself, lol.

Personally, I feel that three movies is just the right amount for the current iteration of the franchise... As much as I'm enjoying this series of films, I understand that it's not a good idea to oversaturate the market with too many films one after another. That's a big reason why a lot of these classic franchises fizzled out the first time. They had to go away for a while for the general public to miss them. We're already being asked to stretch our suspension of disbelief with Super Human Old Man Michael, and the apparent time skip between Kills and Ends isn't going to help that. If the series goes much further passed Kills, Michael's going to start needing a walker to get him from victim to victim.

I'm just not sure what they can do passed Halloween Ends without going in a differen't direction entirely... And history has already shown us that any attempt to move on from Michael as the focus isn't going to be accepted, and yet another reboot or reimagining so soon just sounds absurd at this point. I say just leave it as a trilogy for the time being.
Some people feel that Disney oversaturated the market with the Star Wars movies. Would you agree?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 15th 2022, 7:17 pm

ThePunisher wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:I read something along the same lines this morning, and thought about making a post about it myself, lol.

Some people feel that Disney oversaturated the market with the Star Wars movies.  Would you agree?
Any product that loses its true insight will always be oversaturated.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie July 15th 2022, 9:44 pm

ThePunisher wrote:

Some people feel that Disney oversaturated the market with the Star Wars movies. Would you agree?

I'm not much of a Star Wars guy, but yes I would agree. Hearing from people who are fans, that seems to be one their biggest complaints. Too much lack luster content coming out to frequently, and watering the protect down. A lot of old school fans don't seem to be very fond of Disney's vision of Star Wars at all. Lucky for Disney, Star Wars is a world wide phenomena without many peers. Failures for Star Wars still make hundreds of millions of dollars. Talk about first world problems, lol.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 July 18th 2022, 11:18 am

I think the thing about the Halloween franchise is that there are potentially many, many storyline styles that can be explored. While Part 3 Season of the Witch was criticized greatly, there are actually imaginable plotlines that can tie into the Michael Myers saga, especially if they try to humanize him. For example, Michael was infected with the same evil that resided in the Stonehenge stone which can be passed along, like they teased at the end of Part 4. Not like a slimy worm creature like JGTH, but an evil that makes Michael powerful and focused on murder and mayhem. Bringing back the Shamrock masks in Halloween kills shows me that there is potential to link them all together somehow. Add to that as a subplot the Cult of Thorns of which Conal Cochran himself was a member, if not founder. It can all tie as an anthology like they originally envisioned and make it work this time with some creativity. I hope this doesn't offend anyone
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher July 18th 2022, 1:26 pm

SonofOdin6039 wrote:I think the thing about the Halloween franchise is that there are potentially many, many storyline styles that can be explored. While Part 3 Season of the Witch was criticized greatly, there are actually imaginable plotlines that can tie into the Michael Myers saga, especially if they try to humanize him. For example, Michael was infected with the same evil that resided in the Stonehenge stone which can be passed along, like they teased at the end of Part 4. Not like a slimy worm creature like JGTH, but an evil that makes Michael powerful and focused on murder and mayhem. Bringing back the Shamrock masks in Halloween kills shows me that there is potential to link them all together somehow. Add to that as a subplot the Cult of Thorns of which Conal Cochran himself was a member, if not founder. It can all tie as an anthology like they originally envisioned and make it work this time with some creativity. I hope this doesn't offend anyone

How do you think audiences would respond to Halloween movies with no ( or not so much ) Michael in them?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 18th 2022, 1:53 pm

Yeah….. a Halloween without Michael is not A Halloween movie…..
Season of the Witch should have never been called Halloween III it would probably have done better advertising it as from the visionary Director of Halloween comes Season of the Witch….

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 July 19th 2022, 4:29 pm

I don't mean to cut Michael out completely. I mean make him part of a larger plotline until such time as he returns as the main antagonist again. I think there is a lot of potential to be explored
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 19th 2022, 5:20 pm

SonofOdin6039 wrote:I don't mean to cut Michael out completely. I mean make him part of a larger plotline until such time as he returns as the main antagonist again. I think there is a lot of potential to be explored

Don’t get me wrong I would love a continuation of Season of the Witch or more Halloween lore films …… I just prefer Michael as the main antagonist in his films always.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

SonofOdin6039 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 20th 2022, 1:23 pm

New Trailer released!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by William Munny July 20th 2022, 11:28 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:I will keep it 100% as I usually do...

Halloween 4-6: Humanization of Michael to me was a nail in the coffin...him having these "complex human emotions" was completely and I mean completely nonsensical...Michael Myers aka the Shape is suppose to be an emotionless and ruthless killer! He isnt suppose to be this "Im uncle mikey!" But I will say I love Danielle Harris perfromance in these films and that was the saving grace, the actors did AMAZING but the plot and story were not!

The 4-5 storyline had a lot of potential....

Jamie becoming so traumatized by what happens she winds up repeating what Micheal did as a child. Since the franchise was "all in" on the family angle, you couldn't possibly go in a better direction than this.

That climax was . amazing.

Instead of following through with it....they pull back which defeats the entire purpose of going in this direction in the first place.

While ruining the Jamie character, they decide to set up a new gimmicky twist to distract from what has clearly turned into a fiasco....

Enter the Man In Black and the jail break....

The franchise hangs in limbo on that twist for years and the payoff is the abomination of Halloween 6.

It blows my mind how they flushed all the buzz and goodwill of 4 down the toilet.

Will Munny : That's right.
William Munny
William Munny
Town Resident
Town Resident

http://www.gnrevolution.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 20th 2022, 11:39 pm

William Munny wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:I will keep it 100% as I usually do...

The 4-5 storyline had a lot of potential....

Jamie becoming so traumatized by what happens she winds up repeating what Micheal did as a child. Since the franchise was "all in" on the family angle, you couldn't possibly go in a better direction than this.

That climax was . amazing.

Instead of following through with it....they pull back which defeats the entire purpose of going in this direction in the first place.

While ruining the Jamie character, they decide to set up a new gimmicky twist to distract from what has clearly turned into a fiasco....

Enter the Man In Black and the jail break....

The franchise hangs in limbo on that twist for years and the payoff is the abomination of Halloween 6.

It blows my mind how they flushed all the buzz and goodwill of 4 down the toilet.

For me man I cant with Part 4-6 as a whole...

Danielle Harris was the saving grace until they replaced her in Halloween 6.

I just wished they left the family storyline alone in some regards because it didnt help the Michael Myers character whatsoever.

Laurie shouldnt have been killed off (written off) they could have went with her going into hiding and being a hermit, and then the supernatural aspect of H6 made Michael into a Jason clone.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by William Munny July 20th 2022, 11:52 pm

I'm not a fan of the family angle either. It was a mistake "retconning" it into this with Halloween 2.

Having said that...going full circle was the best direction to take it in. They just wouldn't follow through with it.

Yes Danielle Harris was amazing in 4...one of the best child actor performances in horror.

I pretend as if 6 never happened. They were making that crap up as they went along while filming it yet some fans act as if there's some grand vision behind it. It's nonsense.

Don't really care for the later films either.

The Zombie remake was ok but of course he had to take it right back to the family angle even though he had a clean slate.

It was a mistake.

Will Munny : That's right.
William Munny
William Munny
Town Resident
Town Resident

http://www.gnrevolution.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 21st 2022, 3:48 am

Agreed! I will say up until James Jude Courtney that Tyler Mane was the most brutal Michael Myers we have seen in the Franchise.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 21st 2022, 9:18 am

This is a tough topic because I understand where people are coming from they and I do as well love the simplicity of the Original Halloween the mystery of Michael’s motivation and the Evil that Dr Loomis warns us about coming full circle revealing to us The Boogeyman…….

But by the time you get to the 5th and 6th sequel of a movie series some questions need answers… some plot points need to be closed to move forward…..

Halloween5 wrote itself into a corner….the Director didn’t know who the man in black was he wanted to add a mystery to the story for a future sequel…. They were grasping at straws….. it’s funny because what works about Halloween5 is everything with Jamie and Loomis and Michael him stalking the People in his way to get Jamie and the Tower farm chase and Myers house climax……the added mystery/ Man in Black could have been cut from the entire movie and it end with Michaels Capture and would have been a better movie for it….

As for Halloween6 I will always be a big defender of it, it’s one of my favorites both versions ….I am also one of those “fans” that do see a bigger storyline possibly or “grander vision” with what it introduces….
It is definitely a divisive movie and you can like it or not… and that’s ok.

What I like about it is Halloween 6 goes back to the original…..Through the course of the film it reintroduces a character the Man in Black, as Dr. Wynn who has a minor part in the original film but makes you question his motives and what he tells Loomis about Michael even so far as denying Michael could even get to Haddonfield……

( you could almost read it as him trying to Point Loomis in another Direction.)

H6 also reintroduced the Celtic / Druid beliefs From Halloween 2 about Samhain….and sacrifices.

( Loomis’ Samhain explanation to Marion is one of my Favorites scenes of Halloween2.)

H6 also Explains why Michael is coming from Across the street in the originals POV shot as it introduces his Babysitter that night Mrs. Blankenship.

( Her introduction adds to the reveal at the end of the movie when she is a part of the Cult.)

The atmosphere in the film and it’s sets feel more like an extension to the original with the Lightning and Michael using the shadows more.
I enjoyed going back to Smith’s Grove especially the Maximum Security ward.
Halloween6 also has one of the best Masks in the series Michael is back to being the Shape like he was in H2 and H4 unlike the humanizing tear shedding “uncle” from H5.

Moving on to the most Controversial part of the movie Myers Motivations and being controlled by Thorn and the Cult….
The Producers Cut handles this element much better than the Theatrical cut….
It explains the motivation of Thorn and the cult more in line with the Celtic/Druid story Loomis told Marion… Michael sacrificing the last of his Bloodline…….and that Wynn is the Head of the Cult and has the ability to pass on the Curse from Generation to Generation……Thorn using Michael as a brutal instrument to eliminate his families bloodline for the better of their Tribe……

(This revelation of the Town being “in” on it has some bigger ramifications as now Loomis and Tommy and Kara are dealing with an entire evil Cult /Town not Just the Evil that is Michael….
A Sequel digging deep into the history of the town and how it all started could have been very interesting… and Tommy and Kara trying to find a way to end the Cult of The Curse of Thorn forever had a lot of potential.

The Theatrical Cut makes it seem like Wynn is using the cult to help his advancements of studying and replicating Michaels Evil……and that Jamie’s baby could be a perfect genetic creation duplicating the evil in Michael.

(This versions scene of Michael killing the doctors and Wynn in the surgical room of Smith’s Grove re-enforces that Michaels Evil can’t be controlled and will not be duplicated.)

H6 isn’t a beloved film by the entire fan base by any means, but the fans of it that do love it do see potential in the mythology that was being expanded upon and the links to the original.

Being a fan of one film in the same series of films still makes us all Halloween fans I still love the Original just as much as ever regardless of the sequels and alternative timelines, I do know when you make it to the 6th sequel of a series some mysteries do need explaining there were plenty of ways to go and H6 definitely delivered a creative link and expansion to the Ground work laid by Carpenter.

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

SonofOdin6039 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees July 21st 2022, 9:29 am

Honestly they should have let John Carpenter approve of the script before anything else was made because these writers and directors gave us morr questions than answers from the Curse of Thorn where Michael cant die til he kills all of his family members make no sense because thats ALOT of Myers he should be related to regardless.

The Man in Black should have stayed in the shadows, no face or voice behind him just a man doing his own chaotic ritual.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 July 21st 2022, 9:38 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:Honestly they should have let John Carpenter approve of the script before anything else was made because these writers and directors gave us morr questions than answers from the Curse of Thorn where Michael cant die til he kills all of his family members make no sense because thats ALOT of Myers he should be related to regardless.

The Man in Black should have stayed in the shadows, no face or voice behind him just a man doing his own chaotic ritual.

Carpenter didn’t want anything to do with Halloween sequels featuring Michael Myers after Halloween 2……. He wanted to do anthology style films……that was his vision of The Halloween series.
all the films made you question things not just 4-6…..
The original made you question Myers motivation….
H2 made you question why he wouldn’t die…..
H4 made you question why his family…..
H5 made you question why the rage won’t go away……And by H6 they attempted to answer them……the problem a lot of fans had was with the answers not the questions….Michael was shown in every film as an unstoppable force of Nature…. And it all started in the Original John Carpenter classic.
I agree that the Man in Black is a story element that could have been used differently but at least H6 makes use of that story element as a character traced back to the original…. The Malevolent force that is Thorn is more important that the Man in Black.

I am curious to see how this new Trilogy will end and how all of us fans will view it as a whole especially if this new film isn’t up to par….
this new trilogy is full on no Kin relationship Myers vs Laurie story as many fans have wanted it…. Her obsession with Myers being the reason why Myers has killed her Daughter and nearly killed her Grand-daughter…..her continuing to track and inability to move on keeping her in his line of sight.

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum