Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carrie

Go down

Carrie Empty Carrie

Post by ThePunisher May 5th 2022, 10:16 am

As you know, Carrie was a movie based on the Stephen King book.

Would you consider Carrie a villain? Would you consider her to be a monster? I think I read where she would have been happy to get a hamburger and soda with the guy she went to the prom with. Hardly monster material in my own opinion.

If you don't think Carrie's a villain, who were the bad guys?

My own feeling is that Carrie could have been shown more kindness. Maybe things would have been different.

What are your thoughts on this?
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Carrie Empty Re: Carrie

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 5th 2022, 4:41 pm

Carrie is neither villain nor monster, but someone pushed into committing monstrous acts due to the real villain's of the story, her religious zealot of a mother and the school bullies who basically tortured her to the point of snapping, and ultimately refused to take responsibly for the monster they all had hands in creating. Oddly enough, Frankenstein's Monster is a good comparable for Carrie.

I think King did a wonderful job balancing out justifying why Carrie had her breakdown, while at the same time not glorifying or excusing her actions. She still ultimately had to pay the price for them, despite the fact that you sympathize with Carrie the entire way.

I'm glad King wrote this story when he did, because I don't think this is the type of story that could be told today, due to obvious and very serious real-life issues.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 6th 2022, 10:46 am

Carrie was by no definition a Villian/monster, she was a victim and mostly a victim of bullying, her actions of killing innocent people can be seen as collateral casualties but its also their own fault they sat by and allowed it and no one was on her side other than her Teacher.

Was there justification? definitely, because the social structure made her a target for others, and as I said before they were on standby when she needed the help.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 May 6th 2022, 11:01 am

To me Carrie stands as a perfect example of how bullying, both at home and in school, can come back to haunt you in the worst possible way. I consider her to be the ultimate tragic victim who only wanted to be accepted and treated as normal. While Sissy Spacek gave a great performance, I thought Chloe Grace Moretz did a better job as the bullied teen and subsequent vengeful girl. It just goes to show that bullying on any level is unacceptable and could produce something worse, either with psychokinetic abilities or otherwise
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 and I'm Not a Goalie also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 May 6th 2022, 3:25 pm

I agree with everyone….victim gone very very wrong…..abused and bullied and pushed to a point that she became a murder…. Striking out against everyone….. her story is a tragic tale because like all bullying and abuse it should never have happened……and is still very prominent in today’s world of school shootings because of Bullying….
I don’t condone these violent acts of retribution at all as innocent People don’t deserve to be killed or hurt because of other peoples actions…….
Carrie is a story meant to show the Bullies of the world that their actions could have violent consequences.
I really think Steve Kings Carrie should be required reading at schools today.

Just Think of the amazing things she or some with her abilities could have been able to do if things were different in her home life and school.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 6th 2022, 6:12 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:I agree with everyone….victim gone very very wrong…..abused and bullied and pushed to a point that she became a murder…. Striking out against everyone….. her story is a tragic tale because like all bullying and abuse it should never have happened……and is still very prominent in today’s world of school shootings because of Bullying….
I don’t condone these violent acts of retribution at all as innocent People don’t deserve to be killed or hurt because of other peoples actions…….
Carrie is a story meant to show the Bullies of the world that their actions could have violent consequences.
I really think Steve Kings Carrie should be required reading at schools today.

Just Think of the amazing things she or some with her abilities could have been able to do if things were different in her home life and school.

I think your last point is great. To think of all the things she could have done to HELP people is astounding. There was a lot of good in Carrie, almost in spite of her mother and everyone else who gave her such a hard time.

I think Sue Snell felt honest guilt about antagonizing Carrie. She and her boyfriend tried to right a lot of wrongs, and there were people who just could not accept it.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

OCT 31 1978 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fair Play May 8th 2022, 4:45 pm

Carrie as required reading / viewing in school should be considered. It could deter future bullying. It could also deter future innocent slayings as well.

Carrie was a very well-written story, and one I've shared with my children over the years, mainly for the lesson about not being a bully.

I think a perspective story about having abilities similar to Carrie and the responsible use of those abilities should be a thing.
Fair Play
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Jason Voorhees, OCT 31 1978 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 8th 2022, 5:13 pm

Stephen Kings had to have known we wouldnt be seeing her as the villian!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 8th 2022, 8:06 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:Stephen Kings had to have known we wouldnt be seeing her as the villian!

From what I've read, his wife pulled this manuscript out of the garbage, read it, liked it, and told him to finish it.
ThePunisher
ThePunisher
Outdoorsmen
Outdoorsmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 24th 2022, 4:25 pm

I guess I'm saying what the rest of you are saying. Carrie's Mom is a villain. Chris is definitely a villain.

One can't help but pull for Carrie. It's still one of the saddest endings ever.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum