Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts on the remake?

Go down

Your thoughts on the remake? Empty Your thoughts on the remake?

Post by jasn88cubs May 3rd 2022, 2:40 pm

curious to see what you liked/didn't like about it?

I'll give my thoughts later once I have more time to type
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on the remake? Empty Re: Your thoughts on the remake?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 3rd 2022, 7:43 pm

I had an interesting experience with this film... I remember seeing it in theaters and loving it, and then watching it again on TV a couple of years later and... Not enjoying it nearly as much. I'm not sure what it was, except that maybe I was just so excited to see a new Friday the 13th film in theaters that it enhanced my enjoyment of that first experience so much, that it was never going to hold up during a second viewing, where I was able to analyze the film more objectively.

Overall, I still like the film even if I can't really figure out why I liked it so much more on that first viewing. My biggest problem with the film was something that wasn't even it's fault... One thing I love about a lot of these old lower budget horror films from the 70's and 80's is that grainy and gritty film quality that you can only really get from films from this time period. It really helps with that isolated out in the woods feeling. The Remake looks very modern, and while that has it's advantages and worked fine for some of the wilder New Line films... For a back to basics remake, something just looked off to me. As much as I appreciated and wanted that back to basics feel, I still felt like I've watched this movie eight other times... And though I like the film for what it is, I'd still rather watch those other eight films if I have the choice.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

jasn88cubs likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs May 3rd 2022, 8:27 pm

ok my thoughts

Like I'm not a Goalie mentioned, I felt it was too modern.

What I love about a good horror film is not being being able to see the whole picture. Looking around in background thinking "did I just see something move?"

I also felt pretty much almost all but a few of the characters were unlikeable, unlike previous movies where you can find 4-6 characters you do care about

I also didn't really like the portrayal of Jason. He just, seemed too big for me?? Idk, he almsot seemed like a pro wrestler body type which we never really had

I did find the second half more entertaining than the first half

I also feel like it didn't add anything to the series so in a way fo rme, it's a pointless watch

jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 4th 2022, 8:01 pm

I actually liked it a lot. For ME, it was a fun watch.

I've never been impressed with "critical eye" things like camera angle, lighting, film quality and so forth. I go to the theater and see movies to be entertained. I work in water quality, doing lab and field work collecting water samples, doing scientific work. I think critically all day long and want to get away from it for a little while.

Having said that, I liked most of the movie experience here with the remake. The characters were okay, and I liked how Jason did onscreen. I liked the idea of tunnels, although I wasn't bothered by the whole " Jason can beat you there walking while you're running away" thing, like in part 2.

Things I didn't like were: The characters seemed old for college drinking games. It didn't fit for me. The opening sequence was good, but a little long. There could have been more stalk and kill in the movie to add tension. Another thing I didn't like wasn't even in the movie. I was sitting in a local theater with a bunch of 12 year olds watching an R rated movie. They were loud and never quieted down.
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

jasn88cubs and OCT 31 1978 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 5th 2022, 7:16 am

As I said I love the remake! Its a new reimaging so I would take it!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 May 5th 2022, 12:23 pm

I liked how they did throw backs to both the sack and hockey mask. I felt it a little strange that Jason was a bit smarter than the others in laying perfectly placed traps, tripwire alarms, and running electrical cord to light his cave. It was a better twist that he was living right underneath the camp rather than a shack in the woods. The other question I had was that how could the police be so indifferent to missing kids when at least one resident knew of Jason's existence, especially because he was the one stealing the old man's kerosene and never got caught, even sighted once. Other than that, it was a good ensemble of must-die characters and a overall good entry into the franchise
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 6th 2022, 10:40 am

SonofOdin6039 wrote:I liked how they did throw backs to both the sack and hockey mask. I felt it a little strange that Jason was a bit smarter than the others in laying perfectly placed traps, tripwire alarms,  and running electrical cord to light his cave.  It was a better twist that he was living right underneath the camp rather than a shack in the woods.  The other question I had was that how could the police be so indifferent to missing kids when at least one resident knew of Jason's existence, especially because he was the one stealing the old man's kerosene and never got caught, even sighted once. Other than that, it was a good ensemble of must-die characters and a overall good entry into the franchise
Intelligence wise I always viewed either version of Jason as being on their own levels of education or understanding.

Original Jason was definitely smart, he has the comprehension and understanding to hide bodies, destroy a gun, and when and when not to attack his victims, understanding what people say and knowing how to plan ahead.

Reboot Jason was most definitely intelligent in terms of survival, he knows how to handle different amounts of weapons, and when to use people as bait, and like the original, he knew how to understand people.

Despite his "Disabilities" Jason in his own right isn't no dummy and people outside the fandom should understand that ya know?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

jasn88cubs and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 6th 2022, 11:43 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
SonofOdin6039 wrote:I liked how they did throw backs to both the sack and hockey mask. I felt it a little strange that Jason was a bit smarter than the others in laying perfectly placed traps, tripwire alarms,  and running electrical cord to light his cave.  It was a better twist that he was living right underneath the camp rather than a shack in the woods.  The other question I had was that how could the police be so indifferent to missing kids when at least one resident knew of Jason's existence, especially because he was the one stealing the old man's kerosene and never got caught, even sighted once. Other than that, it was a good ensemble of must-die characters and a overall good entry into the franchise
Intelligence wise I always viewed either version of Jason as being on their own levels of education or understanding.

Original Jason was definitely smart, he has the comprehension and understanding to hide bodies, destroy a gun, and when and when not to attack his victims, understanding what people say and knowing how to plan ahead.

Reboot Jason was most definitely intelligent in terms of survival, he knows how to handle different amounts of weapons, and when to use people as bait, and like the original, he knew how to understand people.

Despite his "Disabilities" Jason in his own right isn't no dummy and people outside the fandom should understand that ya know?

I agree Jason was no dummy. It's probably easy to dismiss him because of his appearance and the fact he may have never gone to school, but he has great instincts. You don't fool with or underestimate this guy!!!!!
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 May 6th 2022, 3:17 pm

I loved and still love the Remake!!
I thought it was very well done. It had the best parts of part 1-4 and call backs through out the Franchise.
Definitely one of my favorites in the entire series….. I think it could have had an amazing sequel as well.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 23rd 2022, 5:27 pm

It has grown on me. It's biggest flaw (to me) is that the characters aren't very likable or relatable. I love Derek Mears as Jason though. IMHO He saves the movie from being a dud.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 23rd 2022, 6:03 pm

Im loving the support the Remake is getting! Execellent!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

OCT 31 1978 and ThePunisher also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 26th 2022, 9:23 am

I'm thinking about watching both versions at some point today. In fact, I think I may do all the major franchise remakes over the next day or so.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 May 26th 2022, 5:21 pm

Soulbait70 wrote:I'm thinking about watching both versions at some point today. In fact, I think I may do all the major franchise remakes over the next day or so.

I like both versions but I prefer the Killer cut.( unrated or Directiors cut I guess?)

I am going to watch the Texas Chainsaw remake tonight…. I have never seen the directors cut of this movie….any one know if there is a region free blu ray of it available?

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 27th 2022, 10:37 am

If we get another movie, do ya'll want to see Derek Mears return as Jason? Personally, I would love it. He really is the best thing about the remake.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs May 27th 2022, 12:20 pm

Soulbait70 wrote:If we get another movie, do ya'll want to see Derek Mears return as Jason? Personally, I would love it. He really is the best thing about the remake.

i wouldn't oppose
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 27th 2022, 1:20 pm

jasn88cubs wrote:
Soulbait70 wrote:If we get another movie, do ya'll want to see Derek Mears return as Jason? Personally, I would love it. He really is the best thing about the remake.

i wouldn't oppose

Kane is currently 67 but that doesn't mean he's too old. Ted White was 58 (I believe) when he did The Final Chapter.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum