Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I miss networks having television programming

Go down

I miss networks having television programming Empty I miss networks having television programming

Post by jasn88cubs February 14th 2022, 6:49 pm

example

Dinner and a movie on TBS

Up all Night on USA

SNICK on Nick

The old Halloween programing they had

Friday the 13th marathons on Friday the 13th

My local Fox affiliate playing the most random 90 movies on a Sat afternoon

MOnstervision

jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Trekapedia likes this post!

Back to top Go down

I miss networks having television programming Empty Re: I miss networks having television programming

Post by Jason Voorhees February 14th 2022, 7:39 pm

jasn88cubs wrote:example

Dinner and a movie on TBS

Up all Night on USA

SNICK on Nick

The old Halloween programing they had

Friday the 13th marathons on Friday the 13th

My local Fox affiliate playing the most random 90 movies on a Sat afternoon

Monstervision

You aren't wrong...I miss the original Sci-Fi channel...I miss the marathons they had from Godzilla to the Friday era of movies.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

jasn88cubs and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

I miss networks having television programming Empty Re: I miss networks having television programming

Post by I'm Not a Goalie February 14th 2022, 11:27 pm

I've commented on a similar topic before, but I do remember when Network TV used to be fun. I also remember when cable networks actually used to show the programing the network name would suggest it would show... Music on MTV, Science Fiction programing on Sci-Fi, actual classic movies on AMC that hadn't come out less than ten years before, and actual history centric programing on the History Channel. Somehow, it seemed that with less networks available, there was actually a better variety in programming. Back in the early days of cable too, there was less of an emphasis on ratings, so networks were willing to take more risks, especially late at night, or just showing what they could afford to license the rights too. It was fun to turn on my TV in the middle of the day on a Saturday and find something as random as the old Adams Family T.V. show playing on TBS.

As cable exploded though, and competition for eyeballs on screen and advertising dollars heated up, the landscape changed. The rise of streaming services only made things worse. It led to the rise of 'block programming' where most of the networks run the same handful of shows or movies on repeat that are relatively safe ratings grabs. When I was a kid, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network used to have a wide and unique variety of programming, and now they've basically been reduced to the Sponge Bob and Teen Titans Go networks. TBS runs the same handful of sitcoms on a loop, and I couldn't tell you what the hell USA is doing anymore. It's no wonder everyone's switching to streaming, Cable TV had basically already done it with their own programming.

As much as I enjoy being able to watch whatever I want when I want too, I still miss the days where I could flip through the channels on my TV and bitch about nothing being on... Only to then find that gem I was looking for I hadn't even thought of in years. I do miss television being a cant miss event.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs February 15th 2022, 1:07 pm

I use YOUTUBE TV which is for sports+TCM since im a classic film buff

and I use Peacock for Supercross and monthly wrestling retro ppvs I do on a blog where we watch and talk

Other than that I don't use anything besides yearly racing subscriptions
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Fair Play February 21st 2022, 11:51 pm

At this point, streaming television is my go-to.
Fair Play
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia February 23rd 2022, 3:55 am

Yeah I miss networks having awesome programming and that includes all the ones you folks mentioned but I’d also include The WB and Kids’ WB! They had some of the best shows and programming for me and they cross promoted and complimented each other very well. Kids grew up watching the Kids’ WB! shows and could watch The WB programming as well.
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Fair Play February 24th 2022, 12:04 am

A part of me wants to build a media server and load it with some of this programming just because.
Fair Play
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia February 24th 2022, 3:10 pm

I wouldn’t blame you at all if you did that Fair Play. It feels like executives either just don’t remember or don’t care that there was good programming before 2000.
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs May 26th 2022, 7:17 am

I have started to notice channels like AMC, FX, TNT show the same darn movies every day

Remember when AMC was a classic movie channel? Use to watch Three Stooges and the Blondie/Dagwood movies on there all the time
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 26th 2022, 9:05 am

I do like watching The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs on Shudder.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie May 26th 2022, 11:27 am

jasn88cubs wrote:I have started to notice channels like AMC, FX, TNT show the same darn movies every day

Remember when AMC was a classic movie channel? Use to watch Three Stooges and the Blondie/Dagwood movies on there all the time

I still remember when AMC's Horrorfest was call Monsterfest and showed all the classic Universal Monster pictures and some others... It's where I first cut my teeth on horror. I've talked about this subject before, but pretty much every major cable network now has resorted to block programming to get by. Licensing movies and TV shows gets expensive, and the curse of so many differen't channel options is that it's harder to get eyeballs on your channel, so when these networks find a show or a set of movies that bring in the ratings, they tend to stick with them... Which turns into all these cable networks playing the same crap on a loop. Streaming TV has only made the situation worse. If it feels like some of these networks only have four or five programs that they show, it's probably because that's all they have available that anyone is interested in watching.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 26th 2022, 1:46 pm

Right now, at home, I'm stuck with a cable service that provides most of what I want to see in sports, and movies and television programs. A lot of the streaming programs I've looked at have some of one thing and nothing of another thing. I get internet, but I'm stuck in one place with a modem. I can't change it because it's not my house.

I subscribe to HBO Max, but rarely use it.

I'd really like to get into a situation where I can get wifi throughout the house, and be able to put whatever I can get on television, like if I have a movie from a streaming service, put it on the television so I don't have to sit in front of a computer. Any ideas?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 26th 2022, 5:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that Twister is playing on some channel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum