Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews *****

Go down

Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews ***** Empty Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews *****

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 16th 2021, 1:12 pm

This post will be filled with Spoilers and my personal Opinions as a mega Halloween Franchise fan……. It is my Favorite Franchise by far, Halloween 2 1981 was the first Horror movie I ever watched so these films and Characters are near and dear to my Heart.

These are my opinions and thoughts, I am just a fan who feels very passionately about these characters and films. I will be including changes I would have made that in my opinion would have made the film more enjoyable for me, I am not saying I can make a better film then the people involved as you can see there is so much passion and talent involved in the making of this movie through out.
Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions with or without spoilers here……

With all that said let’s get started….I have now watched Halloween Kills two times.( with the second viewing being much more enjoyable than the first now that expectation were down to a reasonable level.)

Halloween Kills was the movie I was looking forward to the most since it’s original release date in 2020 the covid pandemic pushed its release to 2021 making hype around this sequel for me enormous and my expectations for it extremely high.

Rating:
I give this film a 3 out of of 5 star rating….it was 2 1/2 out of 5 after my first viewing.
There is a lot to enjoy and several things that really felt out of place or unnecessary added filler, there are great ideas and themes however they are not executed the best way possible.

Things that worked for me:
How Myers escapes the house Fire
Michaels look
The 1978 survivors open mic night
The Haddonfield Mob and hunting Myers
Lindsey’s group and playground scene
The realization that Michael stalks kills and goes home to repeat.
Myers being cornered and trapped by Karen, Tommy and the Mob at the end, Especially the scene with Michael picking up the Mask putting it back on and turning and looking at them with that “let’s do this look.”
Karen’s Death

Things that I felt didn’t work or could have worked if done a little differently:
There was More violence and gore than was needed, 2018 was brutal but had a good balance of what was shown and not shown.

During Lauries compounds Fire escape scene I think I would have ended the scene as he walked out of the house and left the violence that ensued to the viewers imagination or right after he impales the Firefighter….. using the saw was ridiculous……the number of first responders he kills was way too much as well.

The use of Michael Myers overly powerful body and head slamming in the film…..in the original Michael pops out and Strangles with his hands, phone cord and Kills with a knife.
I love that he is strong but it was over kill in this movie especially with Cameron’s death, I would have loved it if they killed him like he killed Bob in the original or like he killed The nurse in Halloween 2 when he stabs and lifted her up and then came down the steps after Allison.

The flash back scene.
( Myers looked great so did Loomis and I liked the scene with Lonnie getting bullied by the other kids, but the cops came off as incompetent especially Hawkins who’s guilt about what happened that night didn’t need another layer of blame added to the story……the kid who played Lonnie had the line of “ the boogeyman.” It was delivered very laughable…..they had him look into the camera to deliver the line really?
The death of Frank’s partner felt like it was an unnecessary addition to the backstory.

A better way to include the flash back and capture of Michael would have been to have the flash back start with Laurie being loaded in an ambulance and Loomis telling the group of officers to come with him to the Myers house as he believes Myers may be heading there after being shot….. a scene with Michael looking out the window and Loomis coming up behind him to shoot him in the head and being interrupted by Hawkins and the group of officers and arresting Myers would have been better, this could have culminated in Loomis shooting Michael a few more times reloading for the kill shot and is stopped by the police as Michael is down shouting “ it needs to die over and over!!”

The Hospital mob Evil Dies tonight scene felt way too long to get to the point of them killing/ forcing the wrong person to kill himself…..this should have been tightened up and not as drawn out.

The Randomness they are pushing for Michaels behavior and killing … this will play into my next point in a minute……at the End of Halloween 2018 Michael is brought to Lauries compound he isn’t actively searching for her I understand that……but at the end there is a moment he hears her voice from the house and turns to loom at her…….I took from that scene he is thinking “ it’s you the “Judith” that got away, not this time.” I thought that after that we would be getting a more focused and re-obsessed Michael in Halloween Kills….leading to my next point.

The realization that Michael creeps, stalks, kills and goes home…. I know that I have this in the works for me section and it does because it fits his psychology but I really thought this was meant as a set up to throw us off for the end of the movie….. I really thought everything being told and shown was going to be a misdirection and when Allison and Cameron and Lonnie get to the Myers house he wouldn’t be there and we would end up at the hospital instead for the climax…….I truly thought they were going to have Michael kill Laurie or Karen or one would die trying to kill him and Halloween Ends would be about Allison or Karen or Laurie hunting Myers or him hunting them the following Halloween.

But that wasn’t what we got they fully committed to the randomness of Michaels psychosis and are pushing the narrative that his murders and obsessive behavior have nothing to do with Laurie, even though he stalked her all day following her in the original from place to place killing her friends and attempting to kill her because see reminded him of his sister his actions in the original were more planned and methodical everything was about set up and now FATE brought them back together 40 years later…….this seems like a missed opportunity here…….the Myers in the Original was not quite as random as the new films are suggesting.

The final scenes…….especially with them pushing the narrative that Laurie Strodes preparation was pointless and he was never going to come after her again…..
In the 2018 film even though Michael was binge killing at random which I thought was him reacting to being locked up for so long and finally free to kill again….the moment he hears her voice and sees her it’s Halloween 1978 again for him……and all her preparation was right because he is here and it’s Halloween and he intended to kill them all.

So instead we get Random Michael following his psychosis to his house “creep, Kill, go home.”
Loonie and Cameron and Allison go to the house alone makes sense…..right…. They don’t call for help or more people or let Tommy know their big revelation?
nah….

I almost feel going this direction could have worked better if the Mob was waiting at the Myers house when he got there instead.
I did like the mob getting the jump on him scene…..I think they should have played with that a little bit more at the end before he gets the upper hand.

My final issue comes with the final scenes with Karen we know something is about to happen now that Michael has killed the mob and Tommy…… so a more creative and call back to the original film would have been to give us the POV shot of Michael coming from the back door up the steps as Karen is standing at the window….. truly recreating Judiths death from the original Halloween.

And run credits…..

So those are my thoughts And opinions and once again they are what I would have liked and changes that I would have made that doesn’t mean I could make a better movie it’s just as a fan what I would have liked to see….Kills has an enormous amount of awesomeness in it but for me there are several parts with strange or poorly executed great ideas.
And even though I didn’t enjoy Halloween Kills as much as 2018 I am looking forward to Ends

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

SonofOdin6039 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews ***** Empty Re: Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews *****

Post by Jason Voorhees October 16th 2021, 1:37 pm

For me I loved it.

I called it from the 2018 that Michael wasnt obessed with her and it was the other way around.

The obsession plotlines the originals had was really humanizing to me.

Michael is pure evil yea know? Why would he care for one woman? A niece? Or a family? This version speaks eith the urge to kill and he even kills another kid and it was offscreen but looking from the mask it was a BLOODY death for the kid.

The Cameron death was in my opinion the best method of showing of how diabolical and sadistic Michael is, the Shape walking down and looking at his "art" and BOOM snaps his neck was really telling.

The Mob scene was something I always planned for Michael or Jason in my head and fact they did was amazing! (So thats something my future fanfilms might be called out for now lol.)

Overall I think the flashblack could have shown far more like the full arrest, the trials, and then a time lapse showing us up until the point of the 2018 film!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews ***** Empty Re: Halloween Kills**** Opinions / Spoilers / Reviews *****

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 16th 2021, 2:05 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:For me I loved it.

I called it from the 2018 that Michael wasnt obessed with her and it was the other way around.

The obsession plotlines the originals had was really humanizing to me.

Michael is pure evil yea know? Why would he care for one woman? A niece? Or a family? This version speaks eith the urge to kill and he even kills another kid and it was offscreen but looking from the mask it was a BLOODY death for the kid.

The Cameron death was in my opinion the best method of showing of how diabolical and sadistic Michael is, the Shape walking down and looking at his "art" and BOOM snaps his neck was really telling.

The Mob scene was something I always planned for Michael or Jason in my head and fact they did was amazing! (So thats something my future fanfilms might be called out for now lol.)

Overall I think the flashblack could have shown far more like the full arrest, the trials, and then a time lapse showing us up until the point of the 2018 film!

The original Halloween establishs the importance of Judith to Michael whatever it is that made Michael do what he does all started with her….

He killed her at 6 years old, he escapes 15 years later and steals her tombstone, goes home
He stalks all day long a girl who looks like her who came to his house he kills her friends one by one displaying Annie on the bed with the tombstone looming over her……Annie however is not the prize of the night…… the girl who looks like Judith is ….it’s not as random as they are playing off in these new movies…..

The 2018 film continues that link with him going to the grave yard to see her tombstone, and Dr. Sartain assuming that her name was the word he “spoke” to Allison.

So the importance of Judith then continues in Halloween Kills with Michael coming back to her room and looking out her window and attempting to kill the police officer there and finally killing Karen in that same spot in the same manner he killed Judith.

Obsession over repeating the act of killing over and over is still pure evil.
Micheal isn’t limited to killing only the ones who look like Judith he is indiscriminate in his violence and I don’t have any problem with him killing random people but the original film does plant the seed that it is important to him in some way making the ones that look more or remind him of Judith as his main target……and him actively planning the events of the night with her Death the end goal…. If you were to use the logic they are trying to push in the new movie he would have never followed her around all day in the original stalking her and just would have gone around the neighborhood killing randoms house to house and then eventually back home….

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 October 16th 2021, 8:02 pm

To me, the flashback sequence to 1978 was masterful, including the attention given to Michael's look and behavior, and the appearance of Loomis was simply awesome. I agree that the firefighter scene was way overdone but I like how it explains how he got out of the basement. I also am glad Hawkins survived because he is an emotional anchor for Laurie. The Halloween III masks were a good touch as well as the survivors gathering. The mob scenes were a little too overboard and reminded me too much of the bullshit we endured last year, which may have been the intended message, showing us how easily mankind can descend into panic, madness, and needless violence. Was I the only one who wanted to punch Tommy Doyle and knock him out? He made a worse mess than before and so muddled up the situation its no wonder Michael had free reign of Haddonfield until the end. Karen's trap was brilliant and another highlight until, of course, they got too close to Michael and let him do what he does best. At that point I just shook my head in disgust, knowing the best way to end Michael would have been to keep shooting him in the head, preferably with a shotgun, until it's a bloody stump. But no, they got close to him and let him turn the tables. I was sad to see Brackett die, along with Lonnie and Nancy Stephens. The final jump was Karen's death but I guess it had to happen. I, too, give this a 3 star rating and hope Halloween Ends corrects a few of these errors
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 16th 2021, 8:12 pm

SonofOdin6039 wrote:To me, the flashback sequence to 1978 was masterful, including the attention given to Michael's look and behavior, and the appearance of Loomis was simply awesome.

((((((Definitely Myers looked amazing in the flashback and seeing Loomis and how they executed his likeness was very well done. I just thought the actual story they told in the flashback wasn’t executed as good as it could have been.))))))!

I agree that the firefighter scene was way overdone but I like how it explains how he got out of the basement. I also am glad Hawkins survived because he is an emotional anchor for Laurie. The Halloween III masks were a good touch as well as the survivors gathering. The mob scenes were a little too overboard and reminded me too much of the bullshit we endured last year, which may have been the intended message, showing us how easily mankind can descend into panic, madness, and needless violence. Was I the only one who wanted to punch Tommy Doyle and knock him out? He made a worse mess than before and so muddled up the situation its no wonder Michael had free reign of Haddonfield until the end.

((((( That was definitely their intention to show how mob violence only makes matters worse……. And you are not Alone Tommy definitely needed punched out but in the end a baseball bat caving in his Face was good enough for me ……Tommy spent the entire night riling up all of Haddonfields people and was definitely inciting the mobs and making things worse and worse.))))

Karen's trap was brilliant and another highlight until, of course, they got too close to Michael and let him do what he does best. At that point I just shook my head in disgust, knowing the best way to end Michael would have been to keep shooting him in the head, preferably with a shotgun, until it's a bloody stump. But no, they got close to him and let him turn the tables. I was sad to see Brackett die, along with Lonnie and Nancy Stephens. The final jump was Karen's death but I guess it had to happen. I, too, give this a 3 star rating and hope Halloween Ends corrects a few of these errors

(((((( 100% agree!!)))))

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs October 17th 2021, 5:53 am

im confused by this whole window obsession thing
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 17th 2021, 9:33 am

jasn88cubs wrote:im confused by this whole window obsession thing

Same here.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie October 17th 2021, 8:08 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:

Same here.

Considering the vantage point, I kind of took it as Michael's place to look out over the neighborhood and survey his 'territory'. It reminded me of Loomis' old line of how Michael would stare at the walls of the sanatorium, looking passed them out towards the night he finally escaped. I have no idea if that's what the film intended, but that's the first impression I had when they focused so much on him looking out the window. When Karen was staring out the window at the end of the film, I was expecting her to see Michael standing on the sidewalk staring up at her and the film end that way rather than with Michael killing her. Not sure which ending would've been better, but the former sounds more like something the original Halloween would've done.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fair Play October 18th 2021, 1:58 am

The movie was definitely worth the almost one year wait.

I can't wait to see the next one.
Fair Play
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees October 18th 2021, 10:02 am

Its likely from the concept and quote of "The Eyes are the window to your soul."
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

jasn88cubs and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 18th 2021, 2:54 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:

Same here.

Considering the vantage point, I kind of took it as Michael's place to look out over the neighborhood and survey his 'territory'. It reminded me of Loomis' old line of how Michael would stare at the walls of the sanatorium, looking passed them out towards the night he finally escaped. I have no idea if that's what the film intended, but that's the first impression I had when they focused so much on him looking out the window. When Karen was staring out the window at the end of the film, I was expecting her to see Michael standing on the sidewalk staring up at her and the film end that way rather than with Michael killing her. Not sure which ending would've been better, but the former sounds more like something the original Halloween would've done.

Dr. Loomis: “I watched him for fifteen years, sitting in a room, staring at a wall, not seeing the wall, looking past the wall, looking at this night, inhumanly patient, waiting for some secret, silent alarm to trigger him off.

Yeah, I agree 100% this is probably the best explanation to the window obsession we will get for now.
In the sanitarium in the TV CUT scene Loomis walks into Michaels room where he is staring out the window of his room …and says “ you fooled them Michael, haven’t you….but not me..”

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

jasn88cubs and SonofOdin6039 also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum