Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your First Horror Movie

Go down

Your First Horror Movie Empty Your First Horror Movie

Post by Fair Play October 1st 2021, 1:56 am

Everyone remembers their first.

Mine was A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge.
Fair Play
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

OCT 31 1978 and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Your First Horror Movie Empty Re: Your First Horror Movie

Post by Jason Voorhees October 1st 2021, 2:42 am

Hmmmmmmmm this is a good question, I think it might be Godzilla? If that counts as Horror? If not then its def Part 7 for me lol.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Trekapedia likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 1st 2021, 7:08 am

Halloween II (1981)

I was 5 years old, my uncle rented it from the video store and was making a copy for himself and My parents lol as many people used to do in the 80’s…..all of us cousins headed down to the Basement and watched it for the first time …..it absolutely Terrified me to the core and from then on I was completely Obsessed with Michael Myers horror and Halloween….

I remember growing up from then on whenever we were all together in the basement someone would sneak up to the top of the stairs shut off the lights and shout the Boogeyman is here!!
Lol…..we would all scream and trample over each other running up the stairs.

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie October 1st 2021, 10:39 am

Hmm... Actually I can't really remember what my first was. The more I think about it, it was probably Gremlins. The first full-fledged horror movie I watched all the way through was either Friday the 13th P5 or Halloween 4... Can't recall which though.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie October 1st 2021, 10:49 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:Hmmmmmmmm this is a good question, I think it might be Godzilla? If that counts as Horror? If not then its def Part 7 for me lol.

Of course Godzilla counts! Monster movies were the original sub-genre of Horror after all, lol. You can argue about the kid-centered sequels, but the original from 1954 was a straight up horror movie... Especially when you consider that film was made not even a decade after the atomic bomb was dropped and was created in part as an allegory for the bomb and the threat of nuclear war. Godzilla was definitely intended to straight up scare the shit out of people.

I've always said, the older these horror movies get the more you have to take into consideration the timeframe they were made to understand what truly made them scary at the time. What might seem tame or cheesy to us now were down right terrifying in the environment they were released.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SlasherxKing October 1st 2021, 12:48 pm

Struggling to remember, but it was either Halloween H20 or Scream.
SlasherxKing
SlasherxKing
Scout
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia October 11th 2021, 11:30 pm

Mine was Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare. I was 11 or 12 so I actually thought this was going to be the final Freddy movie. I hadn’t seen Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter or even knew of movies being called Final but not being the last. I really enjoyed the movie since it was my first horror movie and I still enjoy it.
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees October 12th 2021, 1:48 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:Hmmmmmmmm this is a good question, I think it might be Godzilla? If that counts as Horror? If not then its def Part 7 for me lol.

Of course Godzilla counts! Monster movies were the original sub-genre of Horror after all, lol. You can argue about the kid-centered sequels, but the original from 1954 was a straight up horror movie... Especially when you consider that film was made not even a decade after the atomic bomb was dropped and was created in part as an allegory for the bomb and the threat of nuclear war. Godzilla was definitely intended to straight up scare the shit out of people.

I've always said, the older these horror movies get the more you have to take into consideration the timeframe they were made to understand what truly made them scary at the time. What might seem tame or cheesy to us now were down right terrifying in the environment they were released.

Ooooh I agree! And if so my first monster flick was most definitely Godzilla, and my first slasher film was Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie October 12th 2021, 10:05 pm

Trekapedia wrote:Mine was Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare. I was 11 or 12 so I actually thought this was going to be the final Freddy movie. I hadn’t seen Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter or even knew of movies being called Final but not being the last. I really enjoyed the movie since it was my first horror movie and I still enjoy it.

To be fair, Freddy's Dead was technically the last film in the main series. New Nightmare was it's own thing in it's own pocket universe, the remake is in it's own continuity, and then there's the crossover... Freddy vs. Jason is the only grey area, whether or not fans personally want to include it as part of the main series. At the very least, Freddy's Dead was the closest of these faux final chapters to actually ending the series. The Final Nightmare is a very cartoony, but I still enjoy it, much more than 4 or 5 which do absolutely nothing for me.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by OCT 31 1978 October 13th 2021, 4:05 pm

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
Trekapedia wrote:Mine was Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare. I was 11 or 12 so I actually thought this was going to be the final Freddy movie. I hadn’t seen Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter or even knew of movies being called Final but not being the last. I really enjoyed the movie since it was my first horror movie and I still enjoy it.

To be fair, Freddy's Dead was technically the last film in the main series. New Nightmare was it's own thing in it's own pocket universe, the remake is in it's own continuity, and then there's the crossover... Freddy vs. Jason is the only grey area, whether or not fans personally want to include it as part of the main series. At the very least, Freddy's Dead was the closest of these faux final chapters to actually ending the series. The Final Nightmare is a very cartoony, but I still enjoy it, much more than 4 or 5 which do absolutely nothing for me.

I have a Love Hate relationship with the Nightmare movies….

I love the first 3 And Cravens New Nightmare, and I Like 4, But can’t really stand the others.

I like some aspects of 5 like his Mother’s character and origin of the Son of a Hundreds Maniacs from The Dream child but the Franchise starting at 4 really gets goofy from this point…..culminating with the Goofiest Freddy in Freddy’s Dead.

I actually prefer the Remake over Dream Master, Dream Child, and Freddy’s Dead.

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
First Class
First Class

I'm Not a Goalie and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie October 13th 2021, 10:10 pm

OCT 31 1978 wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

I love the first 3 And Cravens New Nightmare, and I Like 4, But can’t really stand the others.

I like some aspects of 5 like his Mother’s character and origin of the Son of a Hundreds Maniacs from The Dream child but the Franchise starting at 4 really gets goofy from this point…..culminating with the Goofiest Freddy in Freddy’s Dead.

Dream Warriors was my favorite. That film struck the perfect balance between making Freddy a more comedic character while still keeping him scary, characters you actually cared about, and some great foreshadowing on how these poor kids were going to meet their ends. As soon as Jennifer mentions how she wants to go to Hollywood and become a movie star, you know they were setting up perhaps the most iconic kill in the entire series. I also blame Dream Warriors for the steep regression in the series, since the preceding films tried to emulate what worked in that film without seeming to understand what made them work in the first place. 20 minutes into Part 4, all the characters you cared about from P3 are dead replaced by far lest interesting characters, Freddy completes his transition to a stand-up comedian, and that foreshowing that worked in P3 quickly became tropey and rather lame... The kid who liked to draw comics possibly being the worst. I kind of respect that 6 kind of said screw it and completely committed to the cartoony caricature the series had become, where 4 & 5 were still trying to pretend they should be taken seriously.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasonvoorhees13th November 28th 2021, 10:32 am

Army of darkness I watched it in like 2011 Or 2012 And evil dead II I think I watched it in 2010 2011 2012? I don't even recall I think and the 81 film in 2015 and my first slasher film I think either Friday The 13th a Nightmare on elm street or Halloween Scream 4 I think and the first one that came out on 96,
Jasonvoorhees13th
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jasn88cubs December 3rd 2021, 2:25 pm

I wanna say Pet Sematary of Children of the Corn
jasn88cubs
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonfire82877 December 4th 2021, 7:59 pm

The first horror movie I saw was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was 6 years old and it scared the hell out of my cousins and I. Shortly after that, I saw Friday the 13th part 3 and loved it. Over the next year or so after that, my sister’s friend let me watch the other two Friday movies and Nightmare on Elm Street. That’s when my love for horror started.
Dragonfire82877
Dragonfire82877
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

jasn88cubs, I'm Not a Goalie and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Trekapedia December 5th 2021, 4:19 am

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Dream Masters was my favorite. That film struck the perfect balance between making Freddy a more comedic character while still keeping him scary, characters you actually cared about, and some great foreshadowing on how these poor kids were going to meet their ends. As soon as Jennifer mentions how she wants to go to Hollywood and become a movie star, you know they were setting up perhaps the most iconic kill in the entire series. I also blame Dream Warriors for the steep regression in the series, since the preceding films tried to emulate what worked in that film without seeming to understand what made them work in the first place. 20 minutes into Part 4, all the characters you cared about from P3 are dead replaced by far lest interesting characters, Freddy completes his transition to a stand-up comedian, and that foreshowing that worked in P3 quickly became tropey and rather lame... The kid who liked to draw comics possibly being the worst. I kind of respect that 6 kind of said screw it and completely committed to the cartoony caricature the series had become, where 4 & 5 were still trying to pretend they should be taken seriously.

Agreed but Dream Warriors is my favorite and the one I always suggest to people wanting to get into the Elm Street movies. I tell them to start with the original of course but I champion Dream Warriors as what I consider the best of the series.

Dream Warriors was the second horror movie I saw but the next one after that was Creepshow and it’s been one of my favorites ever since as well. I think Popcorn and Tremors were in there too but the big three I saw to start off being a Horror Fanatic as my friends call me are Freddy’s Dead, Dream Warriors and Creepshow. One of my friends told me the other day his nickname for me is Dream Warrior because I’m always bending over backwards to promote and hype that movie. I told him that works for me lol!
Trekapedia
Trekapedia
Second Class
Second Class

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie December 5th 2021, 12:54 pm

Trekapedia wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:
OCT 31 1978 wrote:
I'm Not a Goalie wrote:

Dream Masters was my favorite. That film struck the perfect balance between making Freddy a more comedic character while still keeping him scary, characters you actually cared about, and some great foreshadowing on how these poor kids were going to meet their ends. As soon as Jennifer mentions how she wants to go to Hollywood and become a movie star, you know they were setting up perhaps the most iconic kill in the entire series. I also blame Dream Warriors for the steep regression in the series, since the preceding films tried to emulate what worked in that film without seeming to understand what made them work in the first place. 20 minutes into Part 4, all the characters you cared about from P3 are dead replaced by far lest interesting characters, Freddy completes his transition to a stand-up comedian, and that foreshowing that worked in P3 quickly became tropey and rather lame... The kid who liked to draw comics possibly being the worst. I kind of respect that 6 kind of said screw it and completely committed to the cartoony caricature the series had become, where 4 & 5 were still trying to pretend they should be taken seriously.

Agreed but Dream Warriors is my favorite and the one I always suggest to people wanting to get into the Elm Street movies. I tell them to start with the original of course but I champion Dream Warriors as what I consider the best of the series.

Dream Warriors was the second horror movie I saw but the next one after that was Creepshow and it’s been one of my favorites ever since as well. I think Popcorn and Tremors were in there too but the big three I saw to start off being a Horror Fanatic as my friends call me are Freddy’s Dead, Dream Warriors and Creepshow. One of my friends told me the other day his nickname for me is Dream Warrior because I’m always bending over backwards to promote and hype that movie. I told him that works for me lol!

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Dream Masters... I don't know what hole I pulled that out of, but I meant Dream Warriors was my favorite. Thanks, I never would've caught that otherwise, now I gotta go back and fix that post.

But Yeah DREAM WARRIORS was my favorite, and I feel 4-6 didn't do themselves any favors by trying too hard to emulate the formula from Dream Warriors and missing the mark. It's hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SlasherxKing December 5th 2021, 4:14 pm

I just remembered that my first horror movie i (kinda) saw was House on Haunted Hill when i was still about 5 or 6. I was supposed to be asleep, but i couldn't fall asleep knowing my family was watching something without me, so i snuck out of bed and snuck a peek at what they were watching... i learned why they put me to bed early, it scared the shit out of me lol.
SlasherxKing
SlasherxKing
Scout
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulbait70 May 24th 2022, 4:19 pm

The first horror movies I remember seeing were the old Universal ones on television.

First horror movie that scared me was Jaws, which I saw on television when I was about seven.

First horror movie I saw in the theater was Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. I saw it opening night, April 13, 1984. I was thirteen. Later that year I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street in the theater.

Pretty good start if you ask me.

****EDIT****

Come to think of it, I saw Gremlins the summer of 1984 so it would be in there as well.
Soulbait70
Soulbait70
Camper
Camper

I'm Not a Goalie and Trekapedia also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 25th 2022, 6:09 pm

Soulbait70 wrote:The first horror movies I remember seeing were the old Universal ones on television.

First horror movie that scared me was Jaws, which I saw on television when I was about seven.

First horror movie I saw in the theater was Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. I saw it opening night, April 13, 1984. I was thirteen. Later that year I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street in the theater.

Pretty good start if you ask me.

****EDIT****

Come to think of it, I saw Gremlins the summer of 1984 so it would be in there as well.
Not bad! Universal Monsters are iconic as all hell!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum