Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

to much hate for part 8?

Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty to much hate for part 8?

Post by jasn88cubs May 29th 2021, 6:39 pm

Yea I get it, most of the movie takes place on a boat and they were mostly in Canada bot New York..BUT once they get off the boat I really get into this movie

I enjoy it alot and actually think it's pretty entertaining. I enjoy it more than 7 for sure

jasn88cubs
Hiker
Hiker

Posts : 50
Join Date : 2020-08-06

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by SonofOdin6039 May 29th 2021, 11:32 pm

I liked Part 8 and ranked it in my top 3, simply because I wanted to see Jason in a crowded setting instead of a rural one. I could have used more of the Big Apple, but it did well enough

SonofOdin6039
Traveler
Traveler

Gender : Male
Posts : 14
Join Date : 2020-11-12
Location : Peoria Heights, Illinois

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by BigBeefcake May 30th 2021, 1:22 am

I know I've said it already, but Part 8 is my favorite in the franchise. It was actually the first Friday the 13th movie I saw, and I loved it. Even after watching all of the other movies, 8 is still my favorite. I get the hate: On a boat most of the movie, not in New York very long. But at the same time, this was a really fun movie, in my opinion. The claustrophobic setting on the ship, the "new" environment in the big city.. I love it.
BigBeefcake
BigBeefcake
No Rank
No Rank

Age : 39
Gender : Male
Posts : 4
Join Date : 2021-05-28

SonofOdin6039 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by Jason Voorhees May 30th 2021, 7:58 pm

For me, I think the hate stems from the promise of him killing mainly in New York (NY) than him doing it partially in the end and then having most of it having it on a "Boat" which in our defense we did wanna see him take over NY.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Age : 75
Gender : Male
Posts : 406
Join Date : 2017-06-24
Location : Camp Crystal Lake

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

SonofOdin6039 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by OCT 31 1978 June 5th 2021, 9:12 pm

I actually like the cruise ship setting and dig all the NY stuff! When this movie came out I was living in New York at the time...... I loved the trailer!

My grips with the movie come from the timeline..... and the weird hallucinations Renee has of young Jason..... there is no way she could have seen Jason as a child in the Lake.... he would have been full grown and chained up from Tommy when she was a kid if the time-line is correct after part 7.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
Camper
Camper

Gender : Male
Posts : 125
Join Date : 2020-11-03

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by Jason Voorhees June 6th 2021, 3:55 am

@OCT 31 1978 wrote:I actually like the cruise ship setting and dig all the NY stuff! When this movie came out I was living in New York at the time...... I loved the trailer!

My grips with the movie come from the timeline..... and the weird hallucinations Renee has of young Jason..... there is no way she could have seen Jason as a child in the Lake.... he would have been full grown and chained up from Tommy when she was a kid if the time-line is correct after part 7.
Yeah that was a major plot hole lol
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Age : 75
Gender : Male
Posts : 406
Join Date : 2017-06-24
Location : Camp Crystal Lake

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie June 6th 2021, 1:18 pm

I've never had a problem with Part 8. It's certainly not the best, but I've always enjoyed it. It get the same feeling from most of the Halloween sequels, which are all admittedly crap, but I still get enjoyment out of watching them. The nerd in me does get annoyed by the idea of Crystal Lake suddenly being attached to the ocean, but whatever... I'm watching a film about a revenant serial killer who supposedly drowned as a child, but I'm going to draw the line at a blatant disregard for basic geography.

P8 was the last film in the franchise that felt like a true Friday the 13th/Jason movie to me. The New Line films all had a differen't feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, they were just differen't.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Town Resident
Town Resident

Gender : Male
Posts : 35
Join Date : 2020-11-03
Location : Haddonfield Illinois

OCT 31 1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by OCT 31 1978 June 6th 2021, 2:08 pm

@I'm Not a Goalie wrote:I've never had a problem with Part 8. It's certainly not the best, but I've always enjoyed it. It get the same feeling from most of the Halloween sequels, which are all admittedly crap, but I still get enjoyment out of watching them. The nerd in me does get annoyed by the idea of Crystal Lake suddenly being attached to the ocean, but whatever... I'm watching a film about a revenant serial killer who supposedly drowned as a child, but I'm going to draw the line at a blatant disregard for basic geography.

P8 was the last film in the franchise that felt like a true Friday the 13th/Jason movie to me. The New Line films all had a differen't feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, they were just differen't.

I agree with most of your points here.....as long as these movies are entertaining us they are doing their job.....

I love The Halloween Franchise..... and only take no enjoyment out of 3 fills in the entire series....... and they are ....Halloween Resurrection, and Zombies two movies.....

Resurrection feels like a parody instead of an actual sequel.....
And I was very excited to see what Zombie would do with the franchise but man did it feel like he took a shit all over the characters and mythology..... especially by the end of his sequel.
He makes great looking movies and I like His Firefly family movies but he would be more suited for TCM, Hellraiser, F13 or his own original stuff..... I don’t want to see the Halloween universe through trailer trash lenses....
No way.
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
Camper
Camper

Gender : Male
Posts : 125
Join Date : 2020-11-03

I'm Not a Goalie likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by SonofOdin6039 June 6th 2021, 2:59 pm

To me, the F13 timeline kept me confused for a long time until I finally decided, eh, it's a movie, and moved on. What was important was that I love these films. Halloween is my favorite horror franchise, including Season of the Witch and the Zombie versions. I feel Rob Zombie was trying to pay tribute in his own way and I did like the take on a young Michael Myers growing up in a dysfunctional home. However, I will always prefer Carpenter's visions. The Thorn trilogy had a unique story line but I think they tried too hard and messed it up. While H20 and Resurrection were good entries, I think they strayed from the formula and created their own micro universe. Just my humble opinion

SonofOdin6039
Traveler
Traveler

Gender : Male
Posts : 14
Join Date : 2020-11-12
Location : Peoria Heights, Illinois

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by OCT 31 1978 June 6th 2021, 5:13 pm

@SonofOdin6039 wrote:To me, the F13 timeline kept me confused for a long time until I finally decided, eh, it's a movie, and moved on. What was important was that I love these films.

Well said!!
These movies can be over analyzed and really at the end of the day are just good old Horror entertainment.


Halloween is my favorite horror franchise, including Season of the Witch and the Zombie versions. I feel Rob Zombie was trying to pay tribute in his own way and I did like the take on a young Michael Myers growing up in a dysfunctional home. However, I will always prefer Carpenter's visions. The Thorn trilogy had a unique story line but I think they tried too hard and messed it up. While H20 and Resurrection were good entries, I think they strayed from the formula and created their own micro universe. Just my humble opinion


Same here with the Halloween Franchise being my favorite.....but I don’t know if what Rob did was paying any tribute to the original Halloween most of his interviews about the Original is him say.....” what bothered me about Halloween was..... how he just knew how to drive or had clean coveralls or was some normal kid that snapped.....”.

It sounded like he didn’t quite understand or want to understand the supernatural elements that John Carpenter was going for in the original Movie..... In the original Michael Myers is a crazy escaped mental patient who’s doctor keeps telling us is beyond evil..... by the end you see Dr. Loomis is right and this isn’t Just a man but something beyond that The Boogeyman.

I will always prefer the original series over the Remakes or reimaginings.... 1-6 still remains my favorites.
I did love Halloween 2018 and I am looking forward to Halloween Kills!!

OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
Camper
Camper

Gender : Male
Posts : 125
Join Date : 2020-11-03

SonofOdin6039 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by Jason Voorhees June 7th 2021, 12:02 am

I also think the hate also comes from the fact they completely went against the continuity especially with his clothing and the position of his corpse.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Age : 75
Gender : Male
Posts : 406
Join Date : 2017-06-24
Location : Camp Crystal Lake

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

SonofOdin6039 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by SonofOdin6039 June 7th 2021, 10:05 am

Thats a solid point. Too often I wonder if the writers and production crew even watched the films they were supposed to make sequels for. I understand there are always different creative visions and fresh takes on the storyline, but I think some kind of continuity should be observed or you have a confused mess

SonofOdin6039
Traveler
Traveler

Gender : Male
Posts : 14
Join Date : 2020-11-12
Location : Peoria Heights, Illinois

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie June 7th 2021, 11:35 am

@OCT 31 1978 wrote:
@I'm Not a Goalie wrote:I've never had a problem with Part 8. It's certainly not the best, but I've always enjoyed it. It get the same feeling from most of the Halloween sequels, which are all admittedly crap, but I still get enjoyment out of watching them. The nerd in me does get annoyed by the idea of Crystal Lake suddenly being attached to the ocean, but whatever... I'm watching a film about a revenant serial killer who supposedly drowned as a child, but I'm going to draw the line at a blatant disregard for basic geography.

P8 was the last film in the franchise that felt like a true Friday the 13th/Jason movie to me. The New Line films all had a differen't feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, they were just differen't.

I agree with most of your points here.....as long as these movies are entertaining us they are doing their job.....

I love The Halloween Franchise..... and only take no enjoyment out of 3 fills in the entire series....... and they are ....Halloween Resurrection, and Zombies two movies.....

Resurrection feels like a parody instead of an actual sequel.....
And I was very excited to see what Zombie would do with the franchise but man did it feel like he took a shit all over the characters and mythology..... especially by the end of his sequel.
He makes great looking movies and I like His Firefly family movies but he would be more suited for TCM, Hellraiser, F13 or his own original stuff..... I don’t want to see the Halloween universe through trailer trash lenses....
No way.

I couldn't agree with you more about those three particular Halloween films... Watching Busta Rhymes Bruce Lee the shit of Michael was more than enough to make me turn off my TV. Let's prioritize the ego of our 'Rap Star' instead of the aura of the guy most of the people in the audience actually bought tickets to go see. It's little wonder that a remake was the only direction the franchise felt it could go afterward.

I understand why people like Rob Zombie's style of filmmaking, it just doesn't do anything for me. It's okay to have your own style, but it becomes a problem when every movie your direct feels the same. In a lot of ways, his Halloween films felt like Firefly Family movies with some big guy cosplaying Michael Myers thrown in there.

As you mentioned though, by biggest problem with Zombie was him seemingly shitting all over the legacy of the original Halloween. No offense to anyone who likes Zombie's films, but the guy can't even lick the boots of directors like Carpenter and Craven let alone walk in them. Thinking he was going to 'fix' Halloween by adding a bunch of over-the-top violence and a thousand F-Bomb's just comes off as arrogant.... The original is a classic that's held up for decades with barely an ounce of blood and gore, and all on a budget that today would barely buy the crew lunch at McDonald's for a week.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Town Resident
Town Resident

Gender : Male
Posts : 35
Join Date : 2020-11-03
Location : Haddonfield Illinois

OCT 31 1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by SonofOdin6039 June 7th 2021, 3:15 pm

When I saw the teaser for Resurrection, I HAD to see it simply because I had to know how Michael got his head back after Laurie supposedly chopped it off at the end of H20. I agree that the inclusion of Busta Rhymes was an eye roller, but it also answered a question on my mind since the original...what would Michael do once he killed his ioverall target. Part of why I favor Halloween is simply because Michael has a specific target that he relentlessly goes after, even if he can easily kill everyone else but botches the main target. Jason is a force of nature who kills any and everyone who crosses his path with a few exceptions (Manhattan comes to mind), but Michael always had a intended victim. What if Dr. Loomis hadn't got there in time and saved Laurie? What would he do next? In a sense, Resurrection answered that, even though there's no telling if he would have gone after Laurie's son if he hadn't come home to house full of strangers. 2018 was a different take since he went around killing at random, eventually finding his way to Laurie, although technically he was taken there. And I wholeheartedly agree that Rob Zombies versions could have toned down on the Devil's Rejects formula and focused more on plot and atmosphere. Cheers, and game on, my friends

SonofOdin6039
Traveler
Traveler

Gender : Male
Posts : 14
Join Date : 2020-11-12
Location : Peoria Heights, Illinois

OCT 31 1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by OCT 31 1978 June 7th 2021, 5:41 pm

@SonofOdin6039 wrote:When I saw the teaser for Resurrection, I HAD to see it simply because I had to know how Michael got his head back after Laurie supposedly chopped it off at the end of H20. I agree that the inclusion of Busta Rhymes was an eye roller, but it also answered a question on my mind since the original...what would Michael do once he killed his ioverall target.


((((((((Oh boy I definitely had a really bad feeling about Resurrection when I saw the trailer....it had that reality show vibe that was becoming so popular at the time.
I knew right away I would be walking out of the theater disappointed.))))))))))-OCT



Part of why I favor Halloween is simply because Michael has a specific target that he relentlessly goes after, even if he can easily kill everyone else but botches the main target. Jason is a force of nature who kills any and everyone who crosses his path with a few exceptions (Manhattan comes to mind), but Michael always had a intended victim. What if Dr. Loomis hadn't got there in time and saved Laurie? What would he do next? In a sense, Resurrection answered that, even though there's no telling if he would have gone after Laurie's son if he hadn't come home to house full of strangers.


(((((( yeah, Michael heading back home made sense .... but him living under the House for 20 years until finally deciding to check and see if Laurie was really dead didn’t..... at least not to me I prefer a Michael when he isn’t incarcerated is active....
The comic Series from Devils Due Nightdance comes to mind on what I mean here.
I know that the original series had Michael targeting his Sister/bloodline and I love that angle and story ....but I feel like Michael Myers is a type of psychopath that targets whom ever catches his attention or reminds him of his sister Judith regardless of blood relation...
.. he wants to relive that original night over and over again. The novelization of the original movie gave a pretty cool back story to why Michael does what he does and that it would continue over and over again.....regardless of running out of blood relatives.)))))))-OCT



2018 was a different take since he went around killing at random, eventually finding his way to Laurie, although technically he was taken there. And I wholeheartedly agree that Rob Zombies versions could have toned down on the Devil's Rejects formula and focused more on plot and atmosphere. Cheers, and game on, my friends




(((((Well said!! I did enjoy the different take of the 2018 film... i am hoping with Halloween Kills they have Michael become more of the Hunter/ stalker with a purpose like in the original.... and be a little less random...... I justify the randomness of his kills in 2018 to him going bat shit crazy ( like a kid in the candy store) now that he was free again.))))))-OCT


Back to the Hate of Part 8....I think a lot of the hate comes from the “mommy don’t let me drown” vomit transformation ending..... if we got a bit more of a climactic ending with the “sewer acid” I think the rest of the issues wouldn’t be so glaring.....but I also I don’t think it’s as hated as it was several years ago....the movie grows on you.


Last edited by OCT 31 1978 on June 8th 2021, 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
OCT 31 1978
OCT 31 1978
Camper
Camper

Gender : Male
Posts : 125
Join Date : 2020-11-03

SonofOdin6039 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by I'm Not a Goalie June 7th 2021, 8:20 pm

I believe some of the hate P8 gets too was just a product of its time. We can look at this franchise fueled by 40 years of nostalgic fondness, and I think we sometimes tend to forget what the cinematic environment was when these movies were released. When P8 came out in 1989, the franchise wasn't even a decade old yet, and yet this was already the 8th film in the series... It would seem only natural that Friday/Jason fatigue would set in. Box office receipts don't lie, movie goers were losing interest. It didn't help matters that P8 was released during a time when slasher movies in general were falling out of fashion. Add the bait and switch of promising Jason wreaking havoc in NY, only for the bulk of the movie to take place aboard a boat, I can absolutely see why people hated the film at the time. We can watch P8 now 30 years later and say, hey this isn't so bad, aided by our nostalgic attachment to these films and the characters. That attachment didn't exist in 1989, it's hard to feel nostalgia for something that was current at the time. You know the old saying, how can I miss you if you never go away?

I also find it kind of ironic that just a couple of years removed from P6 basically winking and nodding at the camera, gloriously chastising the fanbase for wanting the same old shit, after widely rejecting the new direction P5 teased going in... Only to try something differen't again two films later when movie goers appeared to decide they were tired of the same old shit after all.
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Town Resident
Town Resident

Gender : Male
Posts : 35
Join Date : 2020-11-03
Location : Haddonfield Illinois

OCT 31 1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

to much hate for part 8? Empty Re: to much hate for part 8?

Post by Jason Voorhees June 8th 2021, 3:05 am

@SonofOdin6039 wrote:Thats a solid point. Too often I wonder if the writers and production crew even watched the films they were supposed to make sequels for.  I understand there are always different creative visions and fresh takes on the storyline, but I think some kind of continuity should be observed or you have a confused mess

Sadly and that's why we got Part 8-FvJ with the worse Continuity issues in terms of keeping to the films.

I know again it's creative difference but it's nonsensical asf not to keep aspects from the previous films when it will all makes sense that way that's why for Freddy it was all screwy of how he came back or died.

Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Age : 75
Gender : Male
Posts : 406
Join Date : 2017-06-24
Location : Camp Crystal Lake

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum